What's new

End of The World: Anyone else read about this??? (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Julie,

I dont see where you are coming from. Did I say anywhere in my statement that this possible additional planet would hit Earth? (I know that it was stated something might in earlier posts). The scientists dont understand what is causing the comets & Planets to have strange orbits and the only thing that they could come up with is a possible additional planet on a large orbit with an approximate size of Jupiter.(or a collapsed star) Except to have that kind of Gravity it would have to be solid not gaseous like Jupiter is. It has been noted that there has been a huge shift/changes on objects within our solar system already withing the past year and a half. Examples would be Uranise/Neptune have had polar shifts of 15 degrees or more, Mars has 50% more atmosphere then just 5 years ago, Jupiters Storm has had some strange happenings as of late. True the second link doesnt tie in with this subject as much (I meant to post a different link) woops :b

Hopefully some of you will find these links of interest.

KyleS

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Some interesting reading for those with access to
the fully refereed Astrophyics Journals on the Nemesis
Hypothesis (Online, or otherwise). Apparently there are a couple actual searches going on
(Berkeley, et. al.) to see if this thing might exist! I
must admit, I did not know that.
In search of Nemesis
Authors: Carlson, S.; Culler, T.; Muller, R. A.; Tetreault, M.; Perlmutter, S.
Affiliation: California Univ., Berkeley. Lawrence Berkeley Lab.
Journal: In Houston Univ., New Developments Regarding the KT Event and Other Catastrophes in Earth History p 19-20 (SEE N94-28294 07-46) Publication Date: 00/1994
Abstract
The parallax of all stars of visual magnitude greater than about 6.5 has already been measured. If Nemesis is a main-sequence star 1 parsec away, this requires Nemesis's mass to be less than about 0.4 solar masses. If it were less than about 0.05 solar masses its gravity would be too weak to trigger a comet storm. If Nemesis is on the main sequence, this mass range requires it to be a red dwarf. A red dwarf companion would probably have been missed by standard astronomical surveys. Nearby stars are usually found because they are bright or have high proper motion. However, Nemesis's proper motion would now be 0.01 arcsec/yr, and if it is a red dwarf its magnitude is about 10 - too dim to attract attention. Unfortunately, standard four-color photometry does not distinguish between red dwarfs and giants. So although surveys such as the Dearborn Red Star Catalog list stars by magnitude and spectral type, they do not identify the dwarfs. Every star of the correct spectral type and magnitude must be scrutinized. Our candidate list is a hybrid; candidate red stars are identified in the astrometrically poor Dearborn Red Star Catalog and their positions are corrected using the Hubble Guide Star Catalog. When errors in the Dearborn catalog make it impossible to identify the corresponding Hubble star, the fields are split so that we have one centering on each possible candidate. We are currently scrutinizing 3098 fields, which we believe contain all possible red dwarf candidates in the northern hemisphere. Since our last report the analysis and database software has been completely rebuilt to take advantage of updated hardware, to make the data more accessible, and to implement improved methods of data analysis. The software is now completed and we are eliminating stars every clear night.
Also....
"Nemesis, the death star." by Weidenfeld and Nicholson
And...
Evidence for nemesis - A solar companion star
Authors: Muller, Richard A.
Affiliation: AA(California, University, Berkeley)
Journal: IN: The galaxy and the solar system (A87-34101 14-90). Tucson, AZ, University of Arizona Press, 1986, p. 387-396. Research supported by the Research Corp.
Abstract
The evidence that the sun has a companion star 'Nemesis' responsible for periodic mass extinctions is reviewed. A Gaussian ideogram of the rates of family extinctions in the oceans shows periods of 26 and 30 Myr. Analysis of impact cratering on the earth shows a period of either 28.4 or 30 Myr, depending on the crater selection. Models which attempt to explain these periods with either oscillations through the galactic plane, or through the effects of a tenth planet, are seriously flawed. If the periods seen in the data are real (and not a spurious result of a statistical fluctuation), then the Nemesis hypothesis is the only suggested explanation that has survived close scrutiny. The Nemesis model predicts that the impacts took place during brief storms of several million years duration, perhaps accounting for the extended nature of the mass extinctions. A search for Nemesis is underway at Berkeley.
The passage of a 'Nemesis'-like object through the planetary system
Authors: Hills, J. G.
Affiliation: AA(Los Alamos National Laboratory, NM)
Journal: Astronomical Journal (ISSN 0004-6256), vol. 90, Sept. 1985, p. 1876-1882. (AJ Homepage)
Abstract
The probability that passing stars could have perturbed the hypothetical stellar companion, Nemesis, into an orbit that penetrates the planetary system is about 15 percent. The planetary orbits crossed by Nemesis would become highly eccentric, and some would even become hyperbolic. If Nemesis ejects Jupiter from the solar system, the semimajor axis of the orbit of Nemesis would shrink down to a few hundred AU. The probability of any object in the inner edge of the Oort cloud at a semimajor axis of 20,000 AU having passed inside the orbit of Saturn is about 80 percent. The apparent lack of damage to the planetary orbits implies a low probability of there being any objects more massive than 0.02 solar masses in the inner edge of the Oort comet cloud. However, several objects less massive than 0.01 solar masses or 10 Jupiter masses could pass through the planetary system from the Oort cloud without causing any significant damage to the planetary orbits. The lack of damage to the planetary system also requires that no black dwarf more massive than 0.05 solar masses has entered the planetary system from interstellar space.
Interesting! I've explored some new ideas today. So, all in all, it
was a good day. If you search for information on this
idea it seems the latest info I was able to dig up is
from 1994 and most is from the late 80s so it seems like
there is not much more current that about 7 years ago.
I wonder if there is a current search or results anywhere?
Dr. Joe

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
It has been noted that there has been a huge shift/changes on objects within our solar system already withing the past year and a half. Examples would be Uranise/Neptune have had polar shifts of 15 degrees or more, Mars has 50% more atmosphere then just 5 years ago, Jupiters Storm has had some strange happenings as of late.
Whoa! I'll bounce in as the skeptic on this. These observations

have not been noted by any of the astrophysical community

that I have seen. The planet's axial shifts would be such

large news in the astrophysics world that it would even

make the nightly news. It ain't happening.

Also, yes, Mars has seen its atmosphere "expand" not

increase, but this is hardly new, it goes through

seasonal changes (on a roughly 2 year cycle, and

other atmospheric changes on longer cycles) periodically all the time

just like the Earth. The Earth's atmosphere has a

periodic swell and relax cycle, weather patterns change

on decade scales (El Nino? La Nina?)....

Also, Jupiter's storm is always gobbling up and

spitting out smaller storm-lits. Jupiter is one of

the most dynamic systems in the solar system. There is

always something strange occuring there.

I also agree with Julie in that most of the sites

that have been linked in with this very interesting

discussion are mostly hooey.

Dr. Joe

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is all a result of bad earth vibrations. I should have known, given all the bad karma that occurred at my last Wicca meeting. Damn, my crystals are tarnished.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Ok..alrighty then...

So..does this all mean I CAN splurge at the "No Payments 'Till May, 2003" sales???

BTW..the guy from the website I posted said you CAN see the planet already and pics of it do exist.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Just to keep this thing going... Is this Nemesis a planet or a brown dwarf with a planet spinning madly around it?

Ok, that doesn't matter that much, but I guess the real question is that this is in some kind of an orbit, so might it possibly have an 'orbit' around several systems, and the passage of each sun(star) would give it a boost and swing it towards the next sun? (Like NASA does to boost trajectory speeds on some of the satellites that they send up).

The AU units are quite beyond me, and I don't want to get into them, but is this Nemesis moving at about the speed of a normal planet in a system (such as ours) or much faster? Being faster would sort of give us less notice if/when it did show up.

Glenn

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn....
1 AU is just the distance from the Sun to Earth.
Also, there are at least two "Planet X" scenarios at
discussion in this thread.
There is the "Nibiru / Marduk" planet X idea that was
originally asked about by Scooter with a 3000 year orbit
that will help "destroy" the Earth in 2003. In my opinion the
site that is linked and the discussion, science, and
quotes that are on that site are
complete bird doo-doo, taken out of context, and utter
hooey. (( I lost it with the discussion about scientists
ignoring "magnetic repulsion" and "momentum is wrong." :angry: ))
However, there is also a dwindling community of astrophysists
that have been exploring the idea that there might be
a 10th planet (or small red dwarf companion star) orbiting
our solar system at a VERY large distance moving VERY slowly. But that this object might explain various
planetary orbital problems, a pattern of geologic and
extinction events on Earth, and a couple other things.
This is often called "The Nemesis Star (or Planet). The
search for this object (IF IT EXISTS) was started back in
the 80s with out much luck looking at over 3000 candidate
objects. But the idea is still out there. It just looks
as though it is not very probable anyway.
Scooter!!
If there are images of this thing, as you say the
person from the site indicates, I would love to see them.
Also, I'd like to get exact celestial coordinates of it
to see it with the observatory I have access too. :)
I have a strong feeling however, that the Nibiru/Marduk
thing is complete nonsense.
Also, YES, keep paying your bills.
Funny thing. A few years ago I came across some insurance
actuarial tables that listed payouts, death risk percentages
and the like....guess what? It listed a person's chance of
dying by asteroid impact as higher than shark attack. (I
guess when an asteroid hits it gets a lot of people, sharks
only get one, maybe two at a time. ;)
Dr. Joe

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Here is the offcial site for the Yellowstone information:
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/
Is it true that volcanic activity at Yellowstone has recently increased?
No. The volcanic system in Yellowstone National Park is displaying the same general types of restless activity today as it has since volcanic activity was first analyzed more than 50 years ago. Current behavior includes extensive seismicity, periods of uplift and subsidence of the caldera related to the movements of hydrothermal fluids that are produced and maintained by deeper magma beneath the Park, and intermittent changes to hydrothermal features at the surface.
Is it true that the next eruption of Yellowstone is overdue?
No. The fact that two eruptive intervals (2.1 million to 1.3 million and 1.3 million to 640,000 years ago) are of similar length does not mean that the next eruption will necessarily occur after another similar interval. The physical mechanisms may have changed with time. Furthermore, any inferences based on these two intervals would take into account too few data to be statistically meaningful. To say that an eruption that might happen in ten's or hundred's of thousand's of years is "overdue" would be a gross overstatement. On the other hand we cannot discount the possibility of such an event occurring some time in the future, given Yellowstone's volcanic history and the continued presence of magma beneath the Yellowstone caldera.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I guess when an asteroid hits it gets a lot of people, sharks only get one, maybe two at a time.
Statistics are ever so much fun :laugh:
But you guys can quit paying your bills. The world is coming to an end in 2003 when Nibiru hits us. However, just send me all your money and I will make sure you are safe. Send me all your money, worldly goods, sign over your house (and HT!) and I can send you into an alternate dimension (it's just the same as this one, except there's no Nibiru) just before the planet hits us. Email me for payment info.
(BTW, the Nemesis idea at least has been published in peer reviewed journals. I'm still a bit skeptical since nothing much has come of it, but it was quite refreshing to read those papers as opposed to the Nibiru nonsense. Thanks Joe for posting it.)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
By now I should not be surprised at the level of responses to things on here. Those who have replied here are DAMN impressive..regardless the opinion. Just another way HTF is magnificent!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Big satellite to drop from space soon
This is a CNN article, so expect the usual "will it kill people" rhetoric. ;)
Of course it will! Send me your DVD collections, I will promise to keep it safe while you guys hide out in your bomb shelters. The radioactive fallout will be devastating, but I have a hardened HT room that will block the dangerous gamma rays and prevent your hard-earned DVD collection from being erased!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks