What's new

IMDB Message Board - No More (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
At the end of February, IMDb will close their message board system. This is the means by which people can express random ideas and opinions about films . . . and whatever else is obsessing them.

Anyone who has visited IMDb boards regularly will be well aware that low grade people abuse the system and post messages which are imbecilic, irrelevant, libellous and often obscene. IMDb is avoiding mentioning this as their reason for cancelling the message board arrangement. They have this statement:

QUOTE:
IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.
UNQUOTE.

Although I have myself sometimes posted messages and have always read messages about films I have watched, I think IMDb have made the right decision. The percentage of seriously unpleasant messages being posted was too high.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I feel bad for the people who make actual intelligent posts at the IMDB but the dregs of humanity that also frequent the comment sections there (and nearly every other place on the internet) caused me to stop reading their boards probably more than a decade ago.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Pardon my ignorance, but I never even knew they had a message board. I love the site, just checking up on films and who played whatever part in a film or TV show. Been using it for years, apparently didn't dig deep enough :(

Weird coincidence, but made a slightly sarcastic comment on our local paper's website today. Was slammed as a troll. First time in my life of who knows how many decades of posts that I've been called a troll. I'll let it slide, not going to get involved.

Me? A troll? No, I behave and post under my real name. If I wanted to be a troll, I'd make up some fake g-mail account and blast people, but just not my personality.

Raised under the old phrase "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all".

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I feel bad for the people who make actual intelligent posts at the IMDB but the dregs of humanity that also frequent the comment sections there (and nearly every other place on the internet) caused me to stop reading their boards probably more than a decade ago.
Kinda makes you grateful for a moderated forum, doesn't it?

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm a long time user of IMDB. I've changed my screen name a couple of times but have been on the site since the late '90s. The message board was really helpful for older films at the time (and today to a limited extent). I still get on the site occasionally, but the newer films definitely have a huge amount of mess posted on the message boards. There are a few posters that I will miss, such as the user named "hobnob" and "fluke skywalker". They frequented a number of classic films on IMDB and usually had some very interesting information to convey. I wonder if any of them are on here?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm a long time user of IMDB. I've changed my screen name a couple of times but have been on the site since the late '90s. The message board was really helpful for older films at the time (and today to a limited extent). I still get on the site occasionally, but the newer films definitely have a huge amount of mess posted on the message boards. There are a few posters that I will miss, such as the user named "hobnob" and "fluke skywalker". They frequented a number of classic films on IMDB and usually had some very interesting information to convey. I wonder if any of them are on here?

Can't believe I never found the message boards. Just open the site, scroll down and there it is. I've used that site for probably ten years or more, never knew I could comment. Now it's time to invent a fake identity and truly become a troll. First time in my life, but I was called a troll on our local paper's website a few days ago. Well time to fulfill their wishes, I'm evil to the core..... Ha Ha Ha..... :D:D:D

Maybe that's why I was branded a troll, slightly off-center sense of humor and sarcasm :eek::eek::eek:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I will miss them, mainly when it came to discussions of past shows or movies, or current stuff that would not generate much discussion on other message boards like this one. Just have to be willing to sift through the threads and just skip the flaming group of posts.

Hard to believe that the IMDB message boards are going to be gone, yet that horrid Television Without Pity is coming back. I find that site to be worse, with its lame rule of "don't talk about the boards on the boards".

kuatorises

Auditioning
Real Name
Kuato
IMDb transplant here. I joined this site a while ago, but have not participated. I plan to more going forward, because I think I have soured to my IMDb replacement site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks