What's new

End of a New York City Tradition (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
People will still lean to see when the train is coming. We've got the "SEPTA Lean" here in Philadelphia. It's the same thing.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Kind of reminds me of the dog in "Tripplets of Belleview" :)

I think Don is right, people will still lean over to look for the oncoming train even if there are huge signs saying "train in 5 minutes". It's human nature! Kind of like pusing the elevator button repeatedly..

Jay

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Are these the same people who stand in the middle of the street waiting for the bus to come? I see this all the time: people standing in the street craning their necks, shading their eyes, to see if the bus is way the hell and gone down the street on its way to them. I never understand it.

Same people who use their cell phones to call and say, "I'm almost there!" even when they're not running late or anything?

I was never a "craner," I just stood on the platform and waited. I didn't need to "see if it was coming." If it comes, it comes.

A hunnert and sixty million, huh? Could end world hunger with that money instead of fixing something that ain't broke. Where's Bono on that?

Ah, tokens... :frowning:

MC

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yep, this is true...Because leaning and craning makes the subway get there even faster.

Everybody knows that. :D

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Having been in London a number of times and ridden the "tube" a lot, I always like the signs and found them helpful. Of course, you can still lean out to watch for the train, but I think only tourists seem to do that. Londoners have far more patience than New Yorkers or Americans in general for that matter.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Paris has them. I still leaned over to look. Can't help it :D. I don't remember if others did though.

--
H

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I agree.

We have these in the Washington Metro and they're dumb here. So the passengers know whether it's 3 or 10 minutes till the train comes. What effing difference does it make to you sitting there on the platform? Are you going to rearrange your day based on how long you have to wait for the subway? These signs cost a lot of money and they give us completely unnecessary information that nobody really benefits from.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I imagine they become much more useful in the case of long delays. Also, if I'm only traveling one station and the next train is ten minutes away, I may just walk.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I love the signs because I know when I hear the train it's either the red, orange, blue line, etc... No need to wait by the side when it's not even my train.

Just a minor convenience but I'm so used to it I'd hate for it to go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks