What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Elvis Presley in HD Online. A Paramount trend in the making? (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks the rather recent release (when I found out) of Little Darlings (1980) in HiDef online inspired me to look for some other film releases in HD online.

@Josh Steinberg indicated in the Little Darlings thread that The Mountain (Paramount) was releasing HD masters to several online services. So I did some checking for Elvis titles released by Paramount and found three Elvis movies now are available in HD from Amazon Prime. These three are:

Blue Hawaii (1961)
GI Blues (1962)
Paradise, Hawaiian Style (1966)

I just purchased Paradise, Hawaiian Style.

None of these titles have been released on Blu-ray as of this writing but now I have some hope we will see Blu-ray releases of these titles.

Unfortunately King Creole (1958) isn’t yet available in HD but hopefully that will soon be rectified.

So are we seeing a trend with titles from The Mountain getting HD releases online (but no Blu-ray as of yet)?

Discuss.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Curious as to why you’re purchasing from Amazon Prime instead of the far superior iTunes and VUDU, which often stream better versions of films?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Curious as to why you’re purchasing from Amazon Prime instead of the far superior iTunes and VUDU, which often stream better versions of films?
Actually my first preference is VUDU. I only go Amazon Prime when I can’t get a HD title on VUDU or Blu-ray.

I don’t yet have Apple TV 4K (I do have Roku Ultra 4K) but that’s coming later this year. Also be interesting to see how the iTunes situation resolves itself with respect to movie downloads.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
You did hear the news about Apple replacing iTunes now.

Unless something has changed I didn’t know about.

I did hear the news about Apple replacing iTunes!

However that was over 2 weeks ago. Since then we've had the Apple Keynote where the renamed Apple Music app was announced, and we've had the beta released allowing people to get their hands on it and see that the functionality has not changed.

There is no iTunes situation with respect to movie downloads...

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Well folks the rather recent release (when I found out) of Little Darlings (1980) in HiDef online inspired me to look for some other film releases in HD online.

@Josh Steinberg indicated in the Little Darlings thread that The Mountain (Paramount) was releasing HD masters to several online services. So I did some checking for Elvis titles released by Paramount and found three Elvis movies now are available in HD from Amazon Prime. These three are:

Blue Hawaii (1961)
GI Blues (1962)

None of these titles have been released on Blu-ray as of this writing but now I have some hope we will see Blu-ray releases of these titles.

Unfortunately King Creole (1958) isn’t yet available in HD but hopefully that will soon be rectified.

So are we seeing a trend with titles from The Mountain getting HD releases online (but no Blu-ray as of yet)?

Discuss.
G.I. Blues is 1960 for what's it's worth. Elvis' first movie after his Army discharge. Nothing would make me happier that having all his Paramount titles (plus whoever has Loving You) on Blu-ray.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Blue Hawaii (1961)
GI Blues (1962)

Discuss.
Like you , I hope these titles , (plus Loving You, and King Creole ) turn up on Blu-ray. Actually , as an Elvis fan, I'd buy all of the films on BD as they get released . I hope Warner Brothers releases thier films on Blu-ray as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apparently Paramount either is working on or has completed a 4K restoration of King Creole, so I would not at all be surprised to see that show up on iTunes one day. They’ve been doing some good work very quietly of late.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Continued disappointment for me with Paramount’s decision to online release older content on digital and not also on physical disc.

Couldn’t paramount farm out physical Blu Ray discs to warner or universal??

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Continued disappointment for me with Paramount’s decision to online release older content on digital and not also on physical disc.

Couldn’t paramount farm out physical Blu Ray discs to warner or universal??

I’d be happy if they farmed out these titles (King Creole, Loving You) to someone like Criterion or Twilight Time. I could see Kino getting GI Blues, Blue Hawaii And Paradise, Hawaiian Style).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Blue Hawaii (1961)
GI Blues (1962)

Discuss.
iTunes is selling the HD digital of G.I. Blues for $4.99 right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks