ELP Brain Salad Surgey dvd-a

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

OK finally got my hands on this dvd-audio disk and I am really pissed off. I open the booklet that came with it and it shows the menus, which are, Surround, Stereo, Videos, Bios, Credits. Well when I put in the cd there is a completely different menu with the only option being advanced res surround sound. The disk clearly states that it will play in the typical three modes. I have hit menu and audio on my remotes but it does not take me to anything different. I do not want the disk if it does not play in 2 channel mode, has anyone run into this problem?

2. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    Greg:

Just checked my disc and you're right. It seems that there is no 2 channel high resolution mix, only the 5.1 High Resolution Mix and the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix.

I enjoy the HR 5.1 mix, but I agree that there should be a 2 channel mix as well.

Cheers,

Harry

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

This was a "first round" title from WB, which means it had only the 5.1 mix. Other titles in this grouping included kd lang "Invincible Summer" and a few others I don't recall off the top of my head.

After this grouping, all WB titles started releasing with a stereo track, usually from the same master as the CD, or the original stereo master depending on the recording.

Regards,

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, that is a typo on the ELP disc. A high-resolution stereo track was never included. I too was pi$$ed when I got the disc home.

Note that the Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly DVD-Audio disc has the same typo. That is, there is no high-resolution stereo track there either.

5. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Will Best Buy give me my money back when I take it back, it certainly was false advertising.

Also, at the beginning of tracks 2 and 4 the disks gets stuck like you would encounter with a old cd with scratches and there were audio dropouts as well.

6. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit