What's new

ELP Brain Salad Surgey dvd-a (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
OK finally got my hands on this dvd-audio disk and I am really pissed off. I open the booklet that came with it and it shows the menus, which are, Surround, Stereo, Videos, Bios, Credits. Well when I put in the cd there is a completely different menu with the only option being advanced res surround sound. The disk clearly states that it will play in the typical three modes. I have hit menu and audio on my remotes but it does not take me to anything different. I do not want the disk if it does not play in 2 channel mode, has anyone run into this problem?

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
Greg:

Just checked my disc and you're right. It seems that there is no 2 channel high resolution mix, only the 5.1 High Resolution Mix and the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix.

I enjoy the HR 5.1 mix, but I agree that there should be a 2 channel mix as well.

Cheers,

Harry

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
This was a "first round" title from WB, which means it had only the 5.1 mix. Other titles in this grouping included kd lang "Invincible Summer" and a few others I don't recall off the top of my head.

After this grouping, all WB titles started releasing with a stereo track, usually from the same master as the CD, or the original stereo master depending on the recording.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, that is a typo on the ELP disc. A high-resolution stereo track was never included. I too was pi$$ed when I got the disc home.

Note that the Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly DVD-Audio disc has the same typo. That is, there is no high-resolution stereo track there either.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Will Best Buy give me my money back when I take it back, it certainly was false advertising.

Also, at the beginning of tracks 2 and 4 the disks gets stuck like you would encounter with a old cd with scratches and there were audio dropouts as well.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Greg, that is a typo on the ELP disc. A high-resolution stereo track was never included. I too was pi$$ed when I got the disc home.

Note that the Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly DVD-Audio disc has the same typo. That is, there is no high-resolution stereo track there either.

Keith,

I don't think it is really a typo, I genuinely think that Warners thought that a 5.1 foldown to stereo (which was 96/24) could still be considered high-resolution stereo.

So in the minds of Warners they probably think they are correct in telling us that a interpolated mixdown to stereo from the hi-res 5.1 track is considered hi-res stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks