What's new

Elizabeth Smart & Family...get of my TV (1 Viewer)

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Can I rant about this here? Why is this the top story on every news channel like every night? War, terrorism, corporate corruption, the Middle East....but no, I have to listen to her family every single day, and listen to Larry King talk to every one the family has ever known. I'm sorry your little girl is missing, but when you get find her, let me know....until then, go away.

Chris

SteveA

Supporting Actor
It's absolutely despicable that a family gets so much attention for a missing child just because they have a cute child and live in a million-dollar house, while plenty of poor kids go missing everyday without any mention.

The double standard for media coverage is an outrage. I don't fault the Smart family for this, though, and I hope they get some kind of closure really soon. I'm sure they're going through hell.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I know. Im sick of it to the point that I almost dont feel bad. (ALMOST). But they dont make a big deal if some kid from the gheto is kidnaped.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely not. I would do the same thing if I was them, trying to get her picture out and as much attention as possible. I hope they find Elizabeth and that she's OK.

But I AM tired of hearing about it... and the cynic in me wonders how much attention this would have gotten if she hadn't been a pretty girl from a rich family.

And of course, I always assume that it's a close relaitve that's done it, or that she just ran away and asked her sister to lie about the abduction... but I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.

/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
It's not our culture, it's the media. Ask almost anyone on the street and they would be just as upset if a kid that looked like a donkey went missing. Don't confuse the screwed up media with society as a whole.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I haven't watched the news in years. In fact, I almost never watch TV. Absolutely nothing good on worth watching.
Peace Out~:D

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
You guys should be here where its local! I agree with the statments listed above saying that many kids get kidnapped every day and nothing is said or shown on TV at all. Look at all of the attention the Ramsey case a few years ago in Colorado...nearly the same thing here. Rich family + cute kids = media attention.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't know if I could handle it if either of my kids came up missing and I feel complete compassion for the family. I just don't agree with the lop-sided amount of media attention one case gets over another. Do the families making less than 15k a year with an average looking kid feel any better or worse than the well-to-do families? I think not.

I hope they find her soon, not so I don't have to hear about it any more, but so it brings some sort of closure to the family of Elizabeth. I really do feel for them...

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I had my cable disconnected a year ago. I have read more books this last year than any other, and caught up on much movie viewing. I have not missed it a bit.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I was in Milwaukee this last weekend. The local weekly alternative newspaper had a great story. There was an African-American girl from a poor neighborhood that was abducted on the way to school about the same time the whole Amy Smart thing went down. How much attention did it get; almost none!!! Has Ashleigh Banfield on CNBC been spending a whole week reporting from Milwaukee; no.

Trust me, I feel for the Smarts and hope for the return of their child. However; shame on the media for what they have done.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
.... and they still have not found all of those kids that are lost in Florida's DFACS organization. .... but several of the foster parents are drawing the stipend but cannot produce the kids. WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks