What's new

electronics question? (1 Viewer)

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
how do I start? I might have fried my daughters keyboard, anyone have any ideas on a good website to fix a keyboard...I used the wrong adaptor and i heard an electrical pop sound....the speakers still work i can hear them, but the lights won't light up.....

any ideas??....I was thinking of taking it apart and looking inside.

thanks

Derek

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
kind of confused here, piano keyboard with a speaker built in I guess (1st I was think computer keyboard)
What was the correct voltage and what did you use?
Pulling the correct adapter in you get nothing, sounds like a fuse blew

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
sorry, yeah it was a piano keyboard....it uses a 9 volt plug, i am not sure what the plug i used was....

is changing a fuse something an untrained guy like me could do?

thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
is it under warranty?

otherwise...it's already busted! go for it and open that bad-boy up.

it sounds like this has an external power supply and you plugged the wrong one into the keyboard? check the "boxy part" of the power supply - it'll give the voltage rating on it. the correct voltage should also be near the plug on the keyboard.

if the keyboard does have a fuse, it should be pretty close to where the ps cord plugs into the thing.

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
no warranty....I guess I will open her up and see what i can do...any ideas where i can buy a fuse at? radio shack i am guessing?

thanks

wish me luck

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yup! rat-shack is pretty good for that kind of stuff. that's the first place i'd look.

[edited to take out stupid joke that could cause bodily harm...]

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
generally look for the fuse near the point where the adapter plugs in. generally a round 1 inch barrel fuse.
The little wire inside should be no more

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if you happen to have a volt-meter in your house (and who doesn't these days ;) ) then you can do a continuity check on the fuse.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
it'll give the voltage rating on it. the correct voltage should also be near the plug on the keyboard
Also make sure the polarity is correct from that adapter.. I once bought a cordless phone and decided to use an adapter that I had rather than the one in the box because it was white instead of black (SAF). Checked the voltages, but forgot the polarity. Well, the phone began to smoke shortly after plugging it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks