What's new

El Cid & Fall of the Roman Empire Blue Ray Release in Germany (2 Viewers)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

out of the ca 2 dozen large format movies I have seen in 70mm Cheyenne Autumn was indeed one of the most impressive experiences. It was also very special as the first time around I only saw two reels that were incredibly sharp but completely faded (pink) and the second time around at this years Berlinale I saw a print that was only very lightly faded and a true revelation with regard to density and colors. Unfortunately the second time around the projection was not up to snuff and maybe the print was also kind of warped so focus was lacking a bit. Still I will probably not see that kind of colors again from another sixties print.

70mm truly has to be experienced on the big screen to see what is was all about - not even the best Blu-Ray will be able to come close to the proper theatrical experience.

Originally Posted by Douglas R

Gary - did you see Cheyenne Autumn in 70mm? That was one of the very sharpest and brightest 70mm film I saw. I remember a review in the London Times saying it seemed like you could see every grain of sand and entreating people to see it at the Warner theatre which was the only place to see it in 70mm. Other 70mm films which I remember as being especially impressive were Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Mutiny on the Bounty and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

We have certainly gone backwards as far as cinema projection and presentation is concerned.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Although I am usually a stickler for such things when I watch these epic films, Tiomkin's intermission music for TFOTRE is one of the worst pieces of music he ever composed and a complete miscalculation IMO.Why a chorus singing in Italian (not latin) a cappella was thought a good idea is beyond me and should be omitted .
The Overture is indeed effective and would be even better if some of the brass fanfares were in the effects surround track as intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks