What's new

Editing MKV for Plex Server? (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I’m not compressing my rips any further beyond what’s on the disc, so that does make it more possible to trim the files at a later time if I ever have the tools. I wouldn’t have to start at square one and rip the disc again.
I'm confused? I've not had any issues trimming files regardless of whether they are MKV files with no additional re-encoding or MP4 files that have been re-encoded using H.264. In both cases, the files are trimmed with no additional encoding. Maybe it's the differences in the software. What issues did you get when I assume you try to trim H.264 encoded content?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm confused? I've not had any issues trimming files regardless of whether they are MKV files with no additional re-encoding or MP4 files that have been re-encoded using H.264. In both cases, the files are trimmed with no additional encoding. Maybe it's the differences in the software. What issues did you get when I assume you try to trim H.264 encoded content?

I didn’t word my thoughts well, my bad. I didn’t mean to suggest issues, just that I prefer to use original files without further encoding so for me going back to the original rip to trim in the future would be simple. Sorry!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've done a little trimming and merging, and had no problems. But I don't know that they had single-frame edit requirements as with the Justice League.

I've looked a little in the past and MKVToolNix is the only free and easy-ish software I've found for the task with works natively with MKV files. After that I expect requires getting into actual video editing tools.

Maybe iMovie on the Mac could do it? I've not tried that. But I think you will have to do round-trip transcoding as it doesn't support MKV natively.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The limitation: you can only cut at keyframes

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Yeah, the Criterion/Janus logos, Universal logos on Paramount films, Vinegar Syndrome logos, Olive logos... there are a decent amount of things that have been stuck on films over the years from studios or labels. And don't get me started on how much I chafe seeing that modern MGM logo at the start and end of everything they've ever touched at the expense of their period logos.
I do my share of trimming. Like I said previously, mostly related to TV shows to remove teasers. I also despise that Studio Canal not only plays their logo when the disk is started but also before each episode of a TV shows played.

When my kids were small, I would trim out bits of old Disney animations that either scared them or I found no longer correct in my opinion. In one case, one of my daughters wanted to watch "The Little Mermaid" but was afraid of the main villain (the Octopus). I took it to the extreme and managed to exercise her from the entire movie. She watched it once, it wasn't much of a movie anymore, so we put it aside until she was old enough to no longer be frightened. :)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've done a little trimming and merging, and had no problems. But I don't know that they had single-frame edit requirements as with the Justice League.

I've looked a little in the past and MKVToolNix is the only free and easy-ish software I've found for the task with works natively with MKV files. After that I expect requires getting into actual video editing tools.

Maybe iMovie on the Mac could do it? I've not tried that. But I think you will have to do round-trip transcoding as it doesn't support MKV natively.
That's why I referenced the ""TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer" software. It's Window's only and not free ($70), but I've been using a version of it since 2005 for editing mpeg-based video with no re-encoding. It was the only software I knew of at the time that could simply edit mpeg files without re-encoding, while also handling frame by frame edits by smartly rebuilding any cuts at a partial frame to create a full frame. Back then I just edited straight mpeg files. However, with the latest version I've noticed it can handle MKV and MP4 containers just as well. Just a thought for those Window's based that do enough editing to make the $70 cost acceptable.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another Mac user that edits with MKVToolNix. I don't mind that it is keyframe only as it is still better than not editing at all. The biggest positive has been getting rid of that annoying buzz and bee from Olive Films rips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks