What's new

Ed (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Watched it a couple of times, not bad. Whats the opinion here?
Need some backstory. What season are we in? From what I understand: Ed grew up in Stuckeyville and moved to the big city to be a big city lawyer. Got home sick and moved back an bought the bowling alley and only take quirky/good guy cases. Is also after the blonde. Am I missing anything?
jeremy

Michael*K

Screenwriter
It's season number two. Definitely a big favorite of mine. I'm glad they moved it in front of The West Wing...something light and fluffy before a more serious show.
You pretty much listed the details in a nutshell. What I might add is that the impetus for him moving back home was coming home from work one day and seeing his wife getting nailed by the mailman. It would appear from the previews for next week's show that the "ex" makes an appearance in Stuckeyville. Perhaps trying to fan the embers? We'll see.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Ed, rules.
Ed was fired from the law firm in the major city which also aided his decision to move to stuckeyville.
For the main storyline that's all you really have to know, but the secondary characters are all unique and are what really sets this show apart

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll be the voice of dissent - I watched it last year, but gave up on it after the second season premiere. I love the two main characters (Ed & Carol), but the supporting cast drives me up the wall. It's amazing how a single show can feature both some of my favorite TV, and my least favorite, withing the same episode on such a consistent basis. Maddening; it got to the point where I'd watch it with my finger on the "skip ahead" button.
If you like it, I'd recommend you give "Gilmore Girls" a look. Same general tone, only the writers are better at making characters eccentric but not stupid.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
It just came to Japan. I like it, but if they continually go on with this Ed and Carol relationship beyond season 1, I wonder just how long it will last.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The joke about Ed being fired from his law firm was that he put a comma in teh wrong place in a contract and cost the firm millions of dollars. He comes home early that day and finds his wife in bed with the mailman.
I watch it simply because it precedes West Wing. To me, the show is just lacking a certain spark to be great. Ed is fine, Carol is good and their immediate friends are interesting, but the staff at the bowling alley aren't quirky enoug, and aren't funny. Especially Phil. He just isn't funny no matter how hard he tries.
The proper balance of quirkiness the show needs to keep is Ed and his friend's $10 bets. That's amusing enough, but not going over the top to annoying.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But Phil Stubb's back flip in the last episode produced a true LOL from me (though not rare, totally unexpected).
Shirley and the other bowling employee dude are truly disturbing characters. I like Phil because he keeps Ed on his toes. And Phil does a good heart, deep undercover that whacked facade of his.
Nancy doesn't do it for me. And I think they need a few more high school characters, besides one-note Warren Cheswick.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

David Dennison

Second Unit
Yes, the supporting cast could use some work, but it is still an enjoyable show. I love the $10 bets between Ed and Mike?(can't remember his name). Ed and Carol provide the best story line and the best acting. I don't think the bowling alley goofballs provide much laughs, and most everything Cheswick does drives me up the wall.
All and all, still a pretty good show, but it certainly helps that it comes right before The West Wing.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Have you hugged your giant chicken today?
biggrin.gif

I don't know why but that one had me laughing for awhile.
Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was funny that Ed wouldn't do the chicken for $6.
(Re: the preview for next week) Maybe it's stereotypical, but it does seem like women do respond more to being ignored and belittled by guys like Dennis, rather than by guys like Ed who worship them.
Actually, if I were Molly, I'd feel the same way she did in last night's show, that's because Jim is not really written too well, he's just lame sometimes. The guy breaks dates for get more sleep? Pul-lease!
I liked what I saw of Liz, it's weird how these 2 actors can feign such a bond on TV, but I felt there was something there, a long time ago, but it was there.
Shirley, Kenny and Phil are just really bizarre people Shirley's reaction to Liz was a little scary. There's a strange story to Shirly's past, I'm Shir.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I thought from day one that Carol and the principal would hook up. The writers' attempts to make him out to be a big, bad pain-in-the-arse was just a smokescreen. And I agree that the part of Jim is written weakly. The guy comes across as a total wuss.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I think Ed is one of my favorite shows this year. The whole Ed/Carol thing was great! I wish that they would keep Carol single rather than dating her boss. That whole storyline bugs me.

I like the supporting characters though. I'm thankful that they brought in that new highschool girl (I forget her name). I think it kind of makes things a little more normal. The whole bowling alley gang is definitely quirky, but I think as a whole, they are good.

Overall, I just like the feel of the show. A nice small town atmosphere with friends looking out for each other and having fun. I think there needs to be more shows like this, rather than boring old sitcoms.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I actually like seeing Carol happy (and laughing, because she really radiates when she does), even it's with Dennis, whose mysterious secret was finally outted in this week's episode (for those who haven't seen it, I'll spoilerize it:

Dennis was a lush, and one morning when he was still drunk, he gave a ride to a student, and got into an accident going around a corner too fast with leaves getting under the tires. But since he was such a nice guy otherwise, the town arranged it for Dennis to leave town without the sordid details of his alcoholism to reach the light of day

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Even though I really like the show, I don't think it's as enjoyable as last year. Glad Doogie Howser wasn't brought back for a return episode. Whew!

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that whole copy-cat thing with Doogie was just wierd. I kept waiting for Vinny to walk in and say "Yo, Doog...". Once a type-cast, always a type-cast. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks