What's new

Ear Phones? (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Hey guys, I am looking for some REALLY good quality ear phones. I want great music reproduction.

You are thinking, well thats easy... Well, they have to be head-banless. You know, the ones that fit into your ear or clip over your ears on each side.

Which ones should I go for? What settings on the back of the box can I look for(frequency response or anything)?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Sennhieser HD 590s. I used to own Grados SR 125's and these, for a little more, sound much much better and are very comftorable. They cost me $250.00 Cdn.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
He's lookin for earbuds, or clips without the headband...

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
ahhh I missed that part.

And thanks Jim for reminding me that I overlooked something. :rolleyes

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
If you weren't looking for earbuds I'd second Michael. I have the Sennheiser HD 580s and they get amazing sound. While listening to stuff I've heard background chatter on the track and actually thought it was someone behind me :)

But as far as earbuds, I've heard good things about these: http://www.etymotic.com/ For that price they'd better be good.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Think nothing of it Michael, it was worth it just to see the little "Rolling Eyes" guy again. :)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I have Etymotic ER4-P earphones and all I can say is, "WOW!" They are incredibly detailed and sound wonderful. They're a bit pricey, but well worth the money ($245 at The Earplug Superstore , and $249 at headphone.com).

The best part is, they are sound isolating, so you can't hear much of what's going on around you. This could be bad, however, if you want to wear them in situations where you need to hear the outside world (like running or walking outside).

The ER6 earphones are less money, at $123. They are not bad sounding, but I traded up for the ER4-Ps. Much better bass response. Headphone.com and The Earphone Super Store have a generous return policy, so if they are not to your liking, you can send them back for a full refund.

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Freq response on the boxes dont really tell you anything, I wouldn't base a headphone purchase on them.

For some clip-on suggestions, see if you can find a pair of Koss KSC-35s for a cheap solution. Audio-Technica makes some higher-end clip-ons which are quite a bit more expensive but may be worth a try. I have the ATH-EM7s and I like them a lot, although some people find them bass-shy. Check www.audiocubes.com for A-T stuff, and you might try looking at the used forums at head-fi.org or somesuch for ksc-35s (I dont think they sell em on the koss site anymore).

The canalphones already mentioned would be a good bet, but if you don't want something actually going in your ear canal, and just want an earbud, try sennheiser mx400/500 for something cheap. Sony E-888s are supposedly nice but expensive, as are some of the audio-technica earbuds.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard many good things about the Etymotics, though I couldn't get myself to spend that much $$ on a set of headphones. I went and bought some Sony closed design earphones - they seal against your ear canal and block outside sound. MDR-EX70LP though it's since been updated, sony site shows some different models now. Same price range though, around $50. Highly recommended if you don't want to spend Ety kind of $$.

Check the headphone reviews and forums here for more info: http://headwize.com/

Andrej

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks