1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AirPods

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ted Todorov, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I finally got my Apple AirPods a few days ago: they exceed all my expectations. Maybe I am being delusional but they sound way better than their wired version for listening to podcasts, phone calls, etc.

They connect to various devices (iPhone, iPad, Macs) way quicker and more reliably than generic bluetooth (my Bose headphones).

Their ear fit is perfect. Charge, seems to be more than enough for any considerable circumstances I can think of. If we are without power for a week, my devices will likely die before the AirPods.

I think they are Apple’s biggest hit since the iPad - the fact that they are continually sold out doesn't surprise me one bit. Nor the fact that they have no actual competitors, and how unlikely it is for there to be one without a rival to the W1 chip. Considering that Apple’s competitors are something like two year behind the A10X CPU/GPU chip, I see no way a non-Apple W1 pops up anytime sooner.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    The reviews are all very good. I like the idea of them but I use noise canceling headphones and am looking at the newest Bose Bluetooth earphones. If Apple got in that area with AirPod type device I'd be all over it.

(Kinda like the Watch: I'm a bit jealous but they don't fit my needs)

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

They do have Beats headphones that use the same W1 chip, but to my knowledge no noise canceling ones. I've always avoid noise canceling devices so I can be aware of my surroundings, and find that my non-noise cancelling Bose headphones allow me to sleep well on red eye flights - the trick is the right Chet Baker playlist starting with the Let's Get Lost soundtrack.

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I think they are fantastic, and for me feel great - you have been using them and find them uncomfortable?

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If you are looking at the Bose I strongly advocate checking out the Sony MDX1000s.

I would love a pair of Airpods but not dropping $150 for something I will surely lose =)

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I'd give them a try if I didn't think they looked ridiculous everytime I see someone wearing them.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I still want to buy a pair this year.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Almost a year later - do you still feel the same way? It's funny how the wired ones have started looking ridiculous to me in NYC. We are all creatures of habits.

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’m thinking about these.

I can wear earphones at work but I’ve already murdered my regular stock set that comes with the iPhone. Wire was severed when it got caught on a door hinge.

Is there a less expensive competitor to airpods?

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    So, Ted, I just was reading through the thread again and my old comment. I thought to myself, wow, that’s a stronger than normal dismissal for me. But the truth is, I saw someone a couple weeks ago with them getting gas and I still think they look silly.

That said, hearing how satisfied people are with them and reading through some other reviews, I’m tempted to give them a try despite what I think of the looks. And maybe I’ll adjust to them more.

12. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLYF2LL/A/beatsx-earphones-white
    The only (very slightly) cheaper wireless earbuds that contain the W1 chip and therefore work properly.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Thanks but looks like I’ll probably get the AirPods from Costco about $145 after shipping.