What's new

E.T. Soundtrack SACD - Any Reviews??? (1 Viewer)

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw this for sale and was wondering if anyone has this and/or are there any reviews online yet?

I love this soundtrack and will add this to my collection shortly!

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I wouldn't get too excited about the 5.1 aspect of the disc. The multichannel "mix" is practically nonexistent. This won't matter if you're only interested in the two-channel mix, but it was a disappointment to me. I had hoped that a 5.1 remix would really allow the orchestra to open up and take full advantage of Williams' "big" sound for the film. No such luck.

The disc doesn't sound bad, of course. This SACD is the "anniversary" edition and features the tracks not offered on the original release. The score has a wide dynamic range, and this disc does a good job of recreating it. I just wasn't bowled over by it, as I thought I would be.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Alan_Horner:

Although underwhelming to some/you, your description of the multichannel mix sounds exactly like what I want: a conservative mix which perhaps primarily places (concert hall) ambience in the surrounds.

Do you mind checking the liner notes and confirming that Shawn Murphy also did the multichannel mix? Same liner notes as the standard CD?

Cheers,
Paul

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

A 5.1 mix that really isn't that different from a 2.0 mix equals "disappointment" to me, and subsequent listens to the E.T. SACD haven't changed my reaction. MCA should have saved some money (given the results) and simply released a stereo-only SACD of the E.T. soundtrack.

It's still a great score, of course.

And yes, the liner notes credit Shawn Murphy as having produced the 5.1 mix and that it was mastered for SACD by Dave Collins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks