What's new

Dylan SACDs going away? (1 Viewer)

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
A friend told me the Dylan SACDs are being phased out and the remasterers are being issued as redbook cds. Any word?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It is true that remastered CDs have been issued w/o an SACD layer. The hybrid SACDs still seem to be readily available (for more money) and I have not seen anything that indicates the SACDs are going away. Perhaps Sony has come to the conclusion that the average member of the buying public does not care about hi-rez vs. a good sounding CD and are making an effort to make them available at good prices to potentially sell more of remastered titles vs. fewer hybrids at higher prices.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Thanks Phil. I was wondering if I needed to rush out and purchase the titles I have not yet picked up. I think I have about 1/2 of them.:)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have about 1/2 of them as well. I might eventually grab one or two more. I looked after I saw the announcement of the CD only reissues and the various websites still have them listed. I'm sure if someone notices them going away someone will post something.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Phil, it's not up to Sony; it's an ABKCO title.

Abkco say they will keep releasing Dylan SACDs. In fact, they are bringing the Animals and Herman's Hermits out soon so their commitment to SACD remains strong. There is lots of inventory here in Atlanta and Tower says they are selling well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Huh? What does ABKCO have to do with Dylan? No mention of ABKCO on the Dylan SACDS, no mention of him on their site...

KrisM

Second Unit
I can't see the Dylan titles going out of print. Why spend the time and money to prepare them and stop after a year? I never did think they would stay as a single inventory title though. As much as I would love to see every title that is released a single inventory hybrid, it doesn't make sense when so many of the people buying are not buying for the hi-rez layer. If the future of SACD is a hybrid for people like us, and a remastered redbook CD for the masses, I'll be happy to spend $16 to $20CDN for titles like Dylan, Stones etc.
Lee, what does ABCKO have to do with the Dylan titles? My discs all say Sony Music on them.

Regards
KrisM

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I have started to see the replacement Dylan redbook only releases in local stores. Without any type of announcement, it is hard to say if Sony is no longer going to press these Hybrids, so I am picking up as many as I can while they are still available (BMG music lets you pick up over half the series at very nice prices).

What I see might happen is that these Dylans will be considered audiophile releases and when stock starts to deplete, they will be no longer readily available at local outlets, and we will then have to turn online or to those stores with specialty Hi-res setions to nad these releases. They could also just end up going OOP, as certain recent Sony SA-CD (Meatloaf, Stevie Ray Vaughan) have been doing.

Either way, I am picking these discs up now when I know I can still get them, and they are easily found locally.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It must be Monday...my apologies, this is actually a Sony title. I knew that but am confusing them with the Stones. What a brain fart...:D

I do believe I read somewhere that they will still keep pressing the SACDs...

AricB

Second Unit
I think the SRV is oop because they've allegedly been working on a multi channel version of Couldnt Stand the Weather that was supposed to come out this year, and I want to say the originals werent even hybrid, which could be the other factor. I would guess you will see those again.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lee, at my age I can get away with brain farts (the only advantage of age). At the price premiums at places like CD Universe over the regular remastered CDs (e.g. "Another Side of Bob Dylan" is $15.89 regular price for the hybrid and the remaster is on sale for $8.50, "Blonde on Blonde" is $16.89 for the hybrid and $10.29 for the remaster) as long as they still sell Sony would be foolish to take them off the market. As long as a decent size niche market is available and people are willing to pay the premium it shows demand for the niche market.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I was at BB and Border's today and picked up the six remaining ones I needed. Both stores had very few SACDs, and they had plenty of copies of the remasters in the regular jewel cases. Just to be safe I snagged the ones I didn't have. At BB the remasters in the jewel case were 14.99 just like the hybrids.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
So the plain CD layer remasters have been issued but are in regular jewel cases vs. the digipaks the hybrids are in?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Phil.

The CD-only remasters are in a jewel case with a "remastered" sticker on them.

The SACD/CD hybrids are still in the digipacks.

Does anyone know if the remaining Dylan albums are going to released on SACD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks