What's new

DVI vs VGA? AGP video cards for multi-purposes. (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I've asked questions here before but I'm asking here about DVI mainly...

How important is DVI for a PC now adays? I see the ATI 9600XT AIW is a good card that is going on sale for a good price, and it looks pretty handy. I don't play alot of games, but at least the AIW can play the new games reasonably well should I want to try a game.

The only problem is that the AIW does not come with DVI. It has dual-VGA output. How long before most LCD monitors and/or LCD front projectors drop the VGA connection, if ever? What about picture quality? Is there much to be gained? I use a VGA connection with my Panasonic L200 and I've watched other projectors which don't use a DVI connection, so I don't believe there is a huge difference in picture quality myself. Do you? Convince me.

My other options are to buy one of these video cards instead:

Sapphire 9600 XT (has DVI and VGA and dual monitor support and comes in VIVO but no TV tuner)
9800 Pro (has dual output with DVI and VGA)
MSI NX6600GT VTD128 (has DVI and VGA and Video Input)

The ATI 9600XT AIW is cheaper because I'd like to have a TV tuner at some point and the 9600XT AIW is complete. The 9800 Pro has DVI and dual output and I'd just need a capture card/tv tuner. The MSI only needs a TV tuner.

thanx for any feedback

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Would you rather pay $10-20 more to get dual output and a separate tuner? Are you interested in getting HD broadcasts through your computer? If yes, get a dual output card and a separate tuner. More flexibility and not much more expensive either. You'd be short of one PCI slot but that might not matter anyway.

Right now don't worry about what is ahead in the next few years, buy the video card for what you have now. In 2-3 years you're going to upgrade the card anyway.

Out of those, I would go with the 6600GT. I will do my own testing during the weekend on 6600GT vs. 9800Pro with XT core.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I may do that. The ATI 9600XT AIW is on sale at Future Shop so I was considering it. Trouble is, now I'm reading about some banding problem involving the theatre 200 chip. I guess a separate video card and capture is a good idea.

But is DVI important?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
It looks like you don't have any display with DVI, so I will say no. If you're going with a separate cards, you will get a DVI or two. I had 9800Pro AIW and it was with single DVI connector (with VGA adapter).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have a CRT monitor now but want to get an LCD for my next monitor. Also, my next LCD projector will very likely have DVI or HDMI. Just wondering how big a deal it is.

Also:

Finding out that people are having problems with video capture using the 9x00 cards which have the theatre 200 chip. Anyone else experiencing this? I found the info on the Rade3D forums. Something to do with problems with the theatre 200 chip on video gain during brighter scenes causing banding. Anyone experience this?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Just for the sake of peace of mind, get the 6600GT with dual DVI's and a separate tuner card. I have a cheap Hauppauge WinTVGo on the HTPC I just built and it works just as well as the 9800Pro AIW.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Cool. I don't need killer 3D performance now anyways, so I'll get something else and a separate capture card.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Just to piggyback on this thread, if I have an LCD monitor with DVI-D and a graphics card with DVI-I, is it possible to run a DVI-D cable from the monitor to the graphics card?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A DVI-I connector combines both analog and digital signals. It's often used on graphics cards, because the end user can hook up either a CRT (analog) or a LCD display (digital). The CRT option requires a (cheap) DVI to VGA adaptor. LCDs can simply be plugged into the DVI-I port.

A DVI-A connector has only the analogue pins; a DVI-D connector, only the digital pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks