What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVHS decks for $600. Ok, I'm starting to get tempted. (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I saw blank DVHS at Sears for 25.00 so how much are the movies 50.00? Sorry, but this temporary technology is just to rich for my blood. Especially when they don't allow you to record a true HD signal.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
BTW, just something for you HD-loving folks to consider...

Sony is gearing up to launch Blu-Ray DVD recorders/player in the US (priced affordably) and will ramp up with pre-recorded HD-DVD titles on Blu-Ray probably this year.

Even without the DVD-forum's vote they're moving forward. And all bets are that Blu-Ray will become our HD-DVD standard over the next few years.

Get excited :D :D :D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Sony is gearing up to launch Blu-Ray DVD recorders/player in the US (priced affordably) and will ramp up with pre-recorded HD-DVD titles on Blu-Ray probably this year.
David-

Sometimes you really have a way of making me feel out of touch!

I had not heard this. What are your sources? The possibility of actually having pre-recorded HD movies on DVD by then end of this year would not only be fantastic, but a huge surprise....finding it hard to believe!

Glad to hear Sony is going forward with the Blu-Ray technology.

:emoji_thumbsup:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
A little "bird" told me that there's a strong chance that you and I might have the ability to purchase the Fifth Element on BluRay within a year's time. Only time will tell naturally, but the "winds of change" are a blowin' :)

In any case, several things point to this...only *one* of which is that all the BluRay supporters just voted down the Toshiba/NEC HD-DVD proposal in the DVD forum (I started a thread about that...do read it...it's got lots of info).

Also worth noting is that Sony just liscensed a copy-protection scheme for BlueRay for pre-recorded movie titles. Many industry minds regard this as a "first step" to position their BluRay platform to other studios as legitimate HD-DVD carrier for their films. They've also announced that BluRay for PC use will be a different format than that for stand-alone "video" recorders and playback. This is most likely another effort to ease studio fears about priacy which is heightened by our current DVD format that allows someone to decrypt a video-DVD on their PC and download to a friend over the internet.

Also, with Sony's SXRD 1920 x 1080 resolution projector on the horizon...it will be a good time for Sony to have some pre-recorded 1920 x 1080 HD source material to go with it :D These two product lines will help launch/support each other in Sony's eyes. Doesn't look bad to my eyes either :)

-dave

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
A little "bird" told me that there's a strong chance that you and I might have the ability to purchase the Fifth Element on BluRay within a year's time.
But in your prior post you said pre-recorded HD movies "probably this year".

Don't tease me Dave!

:wink:

I agree that Sony's SXRD is a good incentive for them to get HD-DVD out sooner than later. After all, what's the point of having all that resolution if your source material isn't capable of even coming close to showing what the display is capable of!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks