What's new

DVDs where the 2.0 soundtrack is better than the 5.0 track. (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Picked up a used copy of Rising Sun (1993) and was checking the reviews.

At least one review indicated that the 2.0 soundtrack was better in a number of ways.

Got me wondering how many other older movies/discs suffer from half-baked 5.0 mixes.

Whenever possible I had been selecting the newer mix, but maybe this isn't wise for older movies that were authored on DVD during 1997-99.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Iron Maiden concert disc, Raising Hell. The 5.1 mix is astonishingly bad, but the 2.0 mix is fine.

(The 5.1 mix on the other Maiden DVDs is fine.)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Some music DVD's in my opinion, such as Metallica: S&M have better 2.0 tracks than 5.1. Some will probably disagree, but that's me.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Some directional dialogue was messed up on "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey" since they gave it a 5.1 remix, and the original sound mix isn't included on it!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In The Transformers season sets, Rhino just added a bunch of extra directional sound effects over the top of the original sound track for the 5.1 tracks. For seasons 1 and 2 they also included a 2.0 track, which I think they intended to be the orignal unaltered track. But on about half of the episodes they screwed up and added the extra sound effects to the 2.0 track as well. So on these sets, depending on which episode, the 2.0 track is sometimes better, but sometimes just as bad as the 5.1 track.

For the season 3 part 1 set, they included a messed up 5.1 track, a messed up 2.0 track, and an "original broadcast audio" 2.0 track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks