What's new

DVD-XP30 discontinued or not? (1 Viewer)

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
So -- what is the deal with the Panasonic DVD-XP30 anyhow? Is it discontinued or not? It seems to be in high demand because it scored very well on Secret's DVD Shootout. It is also fairly difficult to find -- it goes for above retail on EBay these days.

Is it gone? Or just low production? Or what? When I go to some retailers, they list it as discontinued. Yet when I go to Panasonic's site, they not only list it as a current player -- but they show it on their main DVD page with a "NEW!" logo next to it -- as if it was just released!

So, can someone fill me in on this? Will companies that are out of stock be getting more of these -- is it just a matter of time? Or it is done being built and/or discontinued?

Thanks!

- John...

MikeSRC

Second Unit
It's discontinued. Any you can find around right now is all there is or will be.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I believe the 'XP50 has disappeared too. Panasonic has a way of limiting production on very good players. :frowning:

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
So -- then -- anyone know when it was released and when (and why) it was discontinued so quickly then?

I just find it very ironic that it is discontinued -- when Panasonic has it listed as "NEW!" on their website as if it is the latest thing! heh.

- John...

Bill Will

Screenwriter
John, if I'm not mistaken this model has been out for over a year now & is now discontinued & from what I understand there will be no replacement for this model. Most electronic products are just like cars, new models come out every year & some years a certain car or electronic model might be discontinued. What's a shame is that a lot of electronic reviews of a certain model might not come out until the product is hard to find or discontinued. That's one of the reasons I joined the HTF it helps me keep up on products through member's own reviews ;) As for Panasonic's website, as with a lot of them, the old models might still be posted from last year until they get a chance to change the website. That's one of the reasons I always request catalogs from companies because they seem to be out a long time before the website's are ever changed.

Steve_AA

Agent
A number of people over at AVSforum have reported the discontinuance of the RP-82, CP-72, XP-50 and XP-30. All these used DCDi deinterlacing chip. Their new line, ...S35, et. al.(I forget the model #'s) all utilize Panasonic's new all-in-one chip which does both the MPEG decoding and the deinterlacing.

It has also been reported that the venerable RP-91 will also soon cease production if not already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks