What's new

DVD Shrine has All In The Family specs! (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I agree, Luke. I think the odds are next to zero that the episodes will be cut, if indeed it is a legit release.

I have my fingers crossed that this will turn out to be the real thing. Sheesh, the whole first season for the cost of ONE Columbia House 4-episode DVD. The choice would seem pretty clear, wouldn't it?

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
FINALLY! My all-time favorite television show will arrive. Perhaps, Ron will receive a preview copy and give us his thoughts. If so, I would be very interested in resolving this running-time/editing concern.
Once again, this is great news! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
3 discs for $25-ish isn't too outside the realm of possibility, especially as I expect this to be fairly low bitrate and no real extras.
Why do I say no extras? Because none are mentioned up-front in the "ad" or the menu shots.
Why do I say fairly low bitrate? 3 discs and 13 first-season episodes means 4 episodes each, except one disc will have 5 episodes. I see no reason why they would encode 2 of the discs at a, say, MASH or X-Files bitrate level and then lower standards for the 3rd disc, do you? Instead, they could have gone for a 4th disc, increased quality and added some supplements (there are a number of them out there!), charged $10 more and really done it up right!
On the other hand, *3* of the discs in the Stargate SG-1 Season 1 box set have 5 episodes on each disc. Yes, quality seems a hair lower than the other shows I mention above, but it's still perfectly acceptable. And look how many shows are on each disc for The Simpsons!! 6 on each of the first 2 discs! :eek:
Could the post at DVD Shrine be the result of a hoax? *shrug* Sure, why not? The box design and menu design are pretty simple-looking, and derivative of existing VHS designs. Also, the box looks like it would only be thick enough to hold 2 discs at most, and I don't see a studio logo on the spine. SURE it could be a hoax.
But we've heard rumors of such a disc in-the-works for a while now, right here on HTF and in other places. Althoght a studio logo is suspiciously missing from the "ad" the layout looks pretty typical of the tipe of pre-order "awareness" ad that is regularly published in magazines like Video Store Magazine.
If it's legit, it's mine. If it's a hoax, I will still be buying Star Trek: The Next Generation ("TNG") and The First Men on the Moon on that date anyway! :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This better be legitimate, and it better be uncut. Otherwise I'll continue the Columbia House collection.

Can't wait to see more TV series from Columbia TriStar.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Also, NO OTHER WEB SITE is reporting on this.
Actually, if you re-read the thread I started about this last week, DVDAngle was the first to report this, with the same specs (3/26, $24.95, 3 discs, 286 minutes). I think it's safe to say this IS real.
And the best part of all? It's due out on my birthday! Happy birthday to me!! :D

Jo_C

Second Unit
Gee, all the salbrad will be great. Those will be the days when it comes on DVD.

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
As has been pointed out, if the running time is correct, it implies these episodes will be cut. I think "half hour" TV shows were close to 26 minutes long (including the opening and closing credits) - that left three minutes for commercials and one minute "between shows," what they used to call the "station break." I'm not sure when that system ended, but I think it was still standard during the first season of "All in the Family."
Now, again as has been pointed out, 286 minutes divided by 13 episodes comes to exactly 22 minutes per episode. My first reaction to that was that it must be a mistake. It seems someone is assuming that sitcoms were 22 minutes then, as they apparently are now, so they just multiplied 22 by 13 and came up with 286. Since the opening and closing credits will probably be left intact, this implies that as much as 4 minutes of the show's content will be cut.
I also think it must be a mistake, because (again repeating what's already been said) 286 minutes is 4 hours and 46 minutes, which should easily fit on two discs. Three discs would be more in line with 13 episodes multiplied by 26, which is 338 minutes, or 5 hours and 38 minutes.
So I'm tending to believe that the "approximate" running time given is an error.
Except for one thing.
Someone recently directed my attention to an article on "Salon.com" which addresses the issue of how badly cut classic shows are for Nick at Nite and TV Land. Well, we already knew that. But one part of the article states that "most older shows don't get released complete on home video." The article says hardly anyone complains about this, because hardly anyone even realizes that the shows are cut, because these are the versions they've been used to seeing on television for so many years.
So maybe these WILL be 22 minutes each. If so, I guess we better start complaining.
For anyone interested in the complete Salon article (cleverly entitled "Mary Tyler Less"), here's the link:
Mary Tyler Less

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Great article. But nowhere does it imply that these "cut" episodes are what is released on DVD. And that's the only way I watch them; I don't have cable/satellite...just a thousand discs. :)
Of course, I don't want to start with AITF, either. We'll keep an eye on it. If they chop it, I'll chop it off of my "buy" list.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
The release news is now up at DVDFile. I guess that will stop some of the "hoax" talk.

Interestingly though they list the MSRP as $39.95.

-Chad

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
'Tis true. I believe it now -- good ol' Peter Bracke wouldn't steer us wrong. And $39.95 sounds like a lot more realistic price than $24.95 for a three-disc set, which was one of the things that made think it could be a hoax.

Guess I'll be making a little call to Columbia House tomorrow to cancel my "All in the Family" subscription...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
well given the new Price point just in case I ordered from Deep Discount. They have a $19.14 price based on $24.95. If it ends up being cheaper I'll cancel and maybe wait on a Brick and morter. I'm sure the DDD price will go up if the list is $39.99

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I received the announcement about "All In The Family" from dvdplanet.com last night and I also checked dvdpricesearch.com. The entire first season can be purchased for under $20.00. I'll be buying it for sure. Thank goodness I didn't go with Columbia House! I don't believe the episodes will be cut and I hope CH takes serious note and re-thinks their pricing structure on tv series such as "I Love Lucy." At over $30.00 per disc with four episodes per disc, something is really wrong here. I'm sure word has already reached CH about "All In The Family." I'm curious to see what they do now.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks