DVD rom?s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Crosthwait, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

Hey Everyone, I am going to buy a DVD drive for my system this weekend. I am looking for an inexpensive drive (less than $150). Any recommendations? Also would I have to upgrade my agp video card (8 mb)? If so what do you recommend. Thanks for the info.
    ------------------
    Bill
    [email protected]
    My DVD, Home Theater page

2. Paul S Gregory

Post your hardware and OS specs and we'll see!

3. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

OS - Win 2000 pro
    hardware specs- 256k of ram, 8mb video card, 56k modem, Monster sound card, Pent. III processor. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks
    ------------------
    Bill
    [email protected]
    My DVD, Home Theater page

4. Paul S Gregory

Any one of the drives should do the job. I have a Pioneer slot drive that I've never had any problems with.
    You will have to use a software decoder if your video card does not have a hardware DVD decoder to watch movies, or you can get a Hollywood Plus decoder.
    ------------------
    "There's no more warmed over leftovers leftover to be warmed over leftover!"
    Equipment List

5. Ian Wilson

Ian Wilson Agent

DVD drives are not created equal. Some sound like a chainsaw when playing DVDs. I can recommend the ASUS E-616, its a newly released drive with an emphasis on noise reduction. I just bought one and its almost silent when playing DVD's.
    I'm guessing with that graphics card you don't use your PC as an HTPC i.e hooked up to a FP etc. The current favorite is the ATI Radeon with regard to PQ. Software players are now far ahead of hardware based decoding such as the Hollywood plus.
    Ian

6. Jeff_smart

Jeff_smart Auditioning

Dude, don't spend too much on dvd rom drive...I just purchased one recently and I have done some research.
    My system spec's are:
    800Mhz Athlon
    ASUS A7V mobo
    and
    Geforce2 Mx 32 videocard w/tv out
    I bought a Samsung 12X for like $40 US which is really good.
    Its quite and loads up fast. I mean, DVD movies don't even use 16X.
    I do recommend a RealMagic Hollywood Decoder PLus, if you plan on watching DVD movies on your TV.
    Jeff