1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD rom?s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Crosthwait, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

Hey Everyone, I am going to buy a DVD drive for my system this weekend. I am looking for an inexpensive drive (less than $150). Any recommendations? Also would I have to upgrade my agp video card (8 mb)? If so what do you recommend. Thanks for the info.
    ------------------
    Bill
    [email protected]
    My DVD, Home Theater page

2. Paul S Gregory

Post your hardware and OS specs and we'll see!

3. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

OS - Win 2000 pro
    hardware specs- 256k of ram, 8mb video card, 56k modem, Monster sound card, Pent. III processor. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks
    ------------------
    Bill
    [email protected]
    My DVD, Home Theater page

4. Paul S Gregory

Any one of the drives should do the job. I have a Pioneer slot drive that I've never had any problems with.
    You will have to use a software decoder if your video card does not have a hardware DVD decoder to watch movies, or you can get a Hollywood Plus decoder.
    ------------------
    "There's no more warmed over leftovers leftover to be warmed over leftover!"
    Equipment List

5. Ian Wilson

Ian Wilson Agent

DVD drives are not created equal. Some sound like a chainsaw when playing DVDs. I can recommend the ASUS E-616, its a newly released drive with an emphasis on noise reduction. I just bought one and its almost silent when playing DVD's.
    I'm guessing with that graphics card you don't use your PC as an HTPC i.e hooked up to a FP etc. The current favorite is the ATI Radeon with regard to PQ. Software players are now far ahead of hardware based decoding such as the Hollywood plus.
    Ian

6. Jeff_smart

Jeff_smart Auditioning

Dude, don't spend too much on dvd rom drive...I just purchased one recently and I have done some research.
    My system spec's are:
    800Mhz Athlon
    ASUS A7V mobo
    and
    Geforce2 Mx 32 videocard w/tv out
    I bought a Samsung 12X for like $40 US which is really good.
    Its quite and loads up fast. I mean, DVD movies don't even use 16X.
    I do recommend a RealMagic Hollywood Decoder PLus, if you plan on watching DVD movies on your TV.
    Jeff