What's new

DVD Recorder + CableTV = TV on Projector? (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I did a quick search but really couldn't find anything.

Question:

If I got a DVD recorder would I be able to watch TV through the projector?

I see the DVD recorder has a RF in.......but am I able to set it too output to my component cables / projector?

Sorry if this is common knowledge :D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if any DVD recorders have analog tuners. Some have ATSC digital tuners but I think those only work with an antenna and over-the-air signals.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have seen those as well. They will tune in a digital signal but they only output a standard def signal. Yes, it will look better than analog or even digital cable but it is still SD.

To the original question, yes you can use most DVD recorders as a tuner but don't get your hopes up on quality. Most standard def pictures look good on 32" TV's and smaller. I've watched some standard def sports via DirecTV on my 103" screen. I can't even read the players numbers sometimes. I use the projecter for DVD and HD 95% of the time.

-Robert

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Generally, if the DVD recorder has component outputs, any of the inputs including a built in NTSC (analog) tuner will output that way. Check the instructions. Manual output selection, possibly two*, may be needed.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1. Component video versus S-video versus composite video.
(Component jacks will either be dead or output component video anyway if S-video or composite video is selected.)
2. 480i versus 480p versus 720p versus 1080i.
(Do not put anything other than 480i into the TV unless the TV's instructions for the specific set of jacks say you may.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks