What's new

DVD/receiver replacement tips (1 Viewer)

AndrewKra

Agent
I own a sony dav-bc150 home theater in a box system and just recently I got a dish network receiver that supports digital audio output. The receiver/dvd that came with the DAV-bc150 system does not have digital audio inputs. I am looking for a receiver that will be compatible with the speakers that came with that system and has a digital audio input for my sattelite receiver. I am looking for a cost effective solution to this. this is the webpage for the system that I have sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DAVBC150&Dept=hav&CategoryName=hav_HomeTheater_HTSeries there is a www in front of sonystyle but I cant put it there beause i dont have enough posts.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The receiver does have digital audio in- a single optical. If the DISH network box has optical out, your in luck. If it has only coax out, then you can at least make an analog stereo connection throught the sony's single pair of analog RCA inputs, or find a coax to optical converter.

AndrewKra

Agent
The sattelite receiver has a optical digital output but the receiver only has rca inputs. I would like to be able to output the digital audio to the receiver. Is there something that can switch optical to rca and still be digital?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
No, even if there was a switch that could do that, the RCA jacks (Red, White) on the receiver are not wired to the digital circuits on the receiver and so only accept an analog signal.

AndrewKra

Agent
so is there any solution for me or would I have to get a whole new receiver? If so do you know of any that would work for me?? I would like one that has a dvd player built in.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
It looks like you are going to be in the market for a new A/V receiver. If your budget is limited, and you want a good reliable receiver that would meet your needs, I would recommend the Sherwood RD6105 or RD7108. The former is a 500w 5.1 receiver and can be had at www.outpost.com for less than 80 bucks. The latter is a 600w 6.1 receiver and can be had at the same place for less than 100 bucks. I currently own the RD6108 which is essentially the same as the RD6105 and couldn't be happier with it. The 6105 and 7108 both have 1 optical digital input and 2 coaxial digital inputs so there would be plenty of room for expansion. Unfortunately, I don't see a digital output on the Sony system you own so the receiver would not be able to connect directly to the receiver for DVD audio playback, you could however get the digital audio you want from your cable box. Your dilemma is one of the reasons that all in one systems, especially the DVD/Amplifier integrated HTiBs, are rarely recommended on these boards.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks