What's new
World Wide Stereo

DVD Players...Quality and features, is it possible? (3 Viewers)

Kev Conroy

Auditioning
Hey all,

I just purchased a Toshiba SD-3800 Progressive scan DVD player and the picture quality is good. I tried playing a VCD, S-VCD and UDF formatted DVD an it didn't accept it. I'm looking for a player that will support a lot of formats without sacrificing the quality of the video or sound outputs. My rep (the guy I bought this stuff from) suggested I get the Pioneer DV-656A model. I read the recent thread about this player and besides supporting DVD-A format, I don't see many coments about the video quality (which is what I am most interested in). I am outputting to a Toshiba 57HDX82 RPT. If anyone has a suggestiong to what player(s) I should be looking at, please let me know.

Thanks,
Kev C

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kev Conroy

Auditioning
Well, from the lack of response, I guess there is no such DVD player on the market. If anyone has suggestions that would come close to what I am looking for, please let me know. I want to exchange my SD-3800 soon before there is too much use!

I LOVE MOVIES!

Kev C

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Probably one of the current JVC players will fit the bill or come close (plus no chroma bug). That Tosh is an old player now plus Tosh has never been great about supporting every format under the sun.

_Man_

Kev Conroy

Auditioning
What JVC model would you suggest assuming price is of no potions. However, keep in mind that I want picture/player quality over features.

Kev

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would choose whichever JVC model fits your feature list. They all seem to be very similar and use the same guts for the most part. They should be fine for good overall PQ, except for the average quality deinterlacing. But if your main interest are films, then the JVC's should do fine. Certainly, they shouldn't take a backseat to the Pioneer or Tosh you're considering since they don't have the chroma bug and can be forced into film mode to minimize deinterlacing artifacts for film-sourced DVDs.

For better deinterlacing, you'd probably have to get a player w/ Faroudja or SI chips, but such a player will likely cost much more and/or have fewer features you wanted.

AFAIK, the only thing the Tosh can give you that a JVC cannot is full aspect ratio control/scaling for improperly flagged, letterboxed DVDs.

Hmmm... Then again, maybe you should also look into one of the new DVI-output players since you have a DVI-equipped RPTV. They're hard to come by right now and might not make the most reliable players, but they might make the best option for you, if you don't mind steering away from the mainstream makers -- well, I guess you can also try Samsung's HD931 for something more mainstream.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks