DVD Players...Quality and features, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kev Conroy, May 20, 2003.

1. Kev Conroy

Kev Conroy Auditioning

Hey all,

I just purchased a Toshiba SD-3800 Progressive scan DVD player and the picture quality is good. I tried playing a VCD, S-VCD and UDF formatted DVD an it didn't accept it. I'm looking for a player that will support a lot of formats without sacrificing the quality of the video or sound outputs. My rep (the guy I bought this stuff from) suggested I get the Pioneer DV-656A model. I read the recent thread about this player and besides supporting DVD-A format, I don't see many coments about the video quality (which is what I am most interested in). I am outputting to a Toshiba 57HDX82 RPT. If anyone has a suggestiong to what player(s) I should be looking at, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Kev C

2. Kev Conroy

Kev Conroy Auditioning

Well, from the lack of response, I guess there is no such DVD player on the market. If anyone has suggestions that would come close to what I am looking for, please let me know. I want to exchange my SD-3800 soon before there is too much use!

I LOVE MOVIES!

Kev C

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Probably one of the current JVC players will fit the bill or come close (plus no chroma bug). That Tosh is an old player now plus Tosh has never been great about supporting every format under the sun.

_Man_

4. Kev Conroy

Kev Conroy Auditioning

What JVC model would you suggest assuming price is of no potions. However, keep in mind that I want picture/player quality over features.

Kev

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I would choose whichever JVC model fits your feature list. They all seem to be very similar and use the same guts for the most part. They should be fine for good overall PQ, except for the average quality deinterlacing. But if your main interest are films, then the JVC's should do fine. Certainly, they shouldn't take a backseat to the Pioneer or Tosh you're considering since they don't have the chroma bug and can be forced into film mode to minimize deinterlacing artifacts for film-sourced DVDs.

For better deinterlacing, you'd probably have to get a player w/ Faroudja or SI chips, but such a player will likely cost much more and/or have fewer features you wanted.

AFAIK, the only thing the Tosh can give you that a JVC cannot is full aspect ratio control/scaling for improperly flagged, letterboxed DVDs.

Hmmm... Then again, maybe you should also look into one of the new DVI-output players since you have a DVI-equipped RPTV. They're hard to come by right now and might not make the most reliable players, but they might make the best option for you, if you don't mind steering away from the mainstream makers -- well, I guess you can also try Samsung's HD931 for something more mainstream.

_Man_

6. Kev Conroy

Kev Conroy Auditioning

Well, These are the 3 I'll be looking at

The JVC XV-SA602SL

The Samsung DVD-P331

And The Sampo DVE-681P

I think I'll be going with the first option here. Seems like the best fit for me.

Thanks for all your help, and if you have any more commnts to make, please post them.

Kev[​IMG]