What's new

DVD player's de-interlacer vs TV's (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I was calibrating my TV's (Tosh 57HX81) settings last night using the VE DVD. Afterwards, I was switching back and forth from progressive scan and interlaced mode. I noticed during the scene with the American Flag waving, I had a lot more "stair-stepping" of the flag in progressive mode than in interlaced mode. Is this because my TV's de-interlacer is better than the DVD players (Panny RP91)? Or is it because the Tosh upconverts to 540p and in progressive mode introduces more artifacts than in interlaced? Anyway, whatever the reason the picture looked better in interlaced mode. Which surprised my because I always thought it was the opposite. It was late last night so I didn't try different movies to see if this was consistent. I'll experiment a bit more later with different DVDs and see if this is the case.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I compared the RP-91, Denon 1600, and the Pioneer Pro 720's own de-interlacer with the Kenwood Demo disc using an American Flag scene(a real torture test).

The Pioneer did the best job and the Denon and the Panasonic were very close, which is suprising because the Denon is supposed to have a superior doubler.

Perhaps the Panasonic's de-interlacer isn't as bad as some folks make it out to be?

I wouldn't want to draw any conclusions between your test and mine, because I'm not familiar with Toshiba TV's, but the two DVD players I tested did have a hard time with that particular scene.

DJ

DJ

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
So in your case, your TV's own de-interlacer was not only better than the Panasonic's but also the Denon's. I wonder, if TV's are coming out with such good de-interlacers, whether we actually need progressive scan players?

David Judah

Screenwriter
It wasn't my TV(I own a Mits), but the Pioneer is generally regarded as having one of the best built-in line doublers.

DJ

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I have a Toshiba 43H71 that also does upconversion to 540P on 480P sources. I, too have found that the image is better with just running a 480i source from my DVD than 480p. I saw a page showing that there were also other geometry artifacts that appear with 480p - 540p conversion.

-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks