What's new

DVD player w/prog scan and DVI out? (1 Viewer)

Al_S

Second Unit
What are some players with progressive scan and DVI out? Are there any for under $100 new or used?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am going to suggest that you Google for "Stacy Spears Shootout Secrets". These are reviews of progressive scan DVD players that I recommend anyone read before purchasing a progressive scan player.

To obtain progressive scan output, all DVD players use a built in de-interlacer. The quality varies all over the map. DVI output is not going to give a high quality picture if the de-interlacer is mediocre.

Actually I will say you can safely skip the above reviews if the player you are considering has a Silicon Image or Faroudja de-interlacing chip. These are excellent chips. Players without these brands of chips and with a choice of film mode versus live video mode probably have a lower grade de-interlacer chip.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
The Zenith DVB318 was available at $100 refurbished recently. It does well at 1080i over DVI with the new firmware which should come with all refurbished units but not very well at 480p. I have had one for about a year.

Chris

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Cyberhome has an upconverting player out for $80 or so, unsure if it's DVI or HDMI though.

Chuck_D

Agent
The Cyberhome uses HDMI for the output. I have had one for about 2 weeks and have been very pleased with it considering the price. I have it hooked up to my DVI input on my tv using a HDMI to DVI adapter.

Chuck_D

Agent
It is the Cyberhome CH-DVD655. I bought it at Wal-mart figuring if it didn't work out I would return it but I have been pleasantly surprised. It looks better than my DVD player/recorder (Toshiba) running through component cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks