DVD player w/prog scan and DVI out?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Al_S, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

What are some players with progressive scan and DVI out? Are there any for under $100 new or used?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I am going to suggest that you Google for "Stacy Spears Shootout Secrets". These are reviews of progressive scan DVD players that I recommend anyone read before purchasing a progressive scan player.

To obtain progressive scan output, all DVD players use a built in de-interlacer. The quality varies all over the map. DVI output is not going to give a high quality picture if the de-interlacer is mediocre.

Actually I will say you can safely skip the above reviews if the player you are considering has a Silicon Image or Faroudja de-interlacing chip. These are excellent chips. Players without these brands of chips and with a choice of film mode versus live video mode probably have a lower grade de-interlacer chip.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    The Zenith DVB318 was available at $100 refurbished recently. It does well at 1080i over DVI with the new firmware which should come with all refurbished units but not very well at 480p. I have had one for about a year.

Chris

4. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Cyberhome has an upconverting player out for $80 or so, unsure if it's DVI or HDMI though.

5. Chuck_D

Chuck_D Agent

The Cyberhome uses HDMI for the output. I have had one for about 2 weeks and have been very pleased with it considering the price. I have it hooked up to my DVI input on my tv using a HDMI to DVI adapter.

6. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

Chuck_D what model is that? Where did you get yours?

Thanks

7. Chuck_D

Chuck_D Agent

It is the Cyberhome CH-DVD655. I bought it at Wal-mart figuring if it didn't work out I would return it but I have been pleasantly surprised. It looks better than my DVD player/recorder (Toshiba) running through component cables.