What's new

DVD player to beat Samsung DLP deinterlacer? (1 Viewer)

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Any of the models with a Faroujda or Silicon Image de-interlacer like the Mitsubishi DD-8040, Denon DVD-1600 or DVD-910 or DVD-2200.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The DCDi chip in the TV is quite good. I prefer the image going through DVI myself, since it eliminates a lot of the color banding that I have seen.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have a friend with a 50" Samsung DLP and he added a Panasonic XP30 and is very pleased with the quality.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes the old model Panasonic XP30 has the Faroujda de-interlacer (unlike the current Panasonic models) so it is excellent.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
The Samsung DLPs are already using a Faroujda chip so isn't using a DVD player with the same chip somewhat redundant? Are there different grades of this chip?

The Denon's use Silicon Image, don't they? I was going to buy the 2900, but went with the Samsung HD-931 instead (to save cash) and also because of the upconverting and DVI output (mostly the cash). Can't help but wonder how the Denon 2900 would compare.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The Samsung DLP's do use the Faroudja chip, but the Faroudja chip can be implement differently from one device to the next and from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, the Denon 1600 was essentially the same player as the RP82, but the 82 came with the Cross Color Supressor feature turned off and the Denon had it on. I believe Denon then provided a firmware upgrade to turn it off. I have no idea how Samsung has implemented the Faroudja chip. Having the faroudja in the TV is fine, but you will lose some resolution because doing the deinterlacing in the TV requires an extra analog to digital conversion. Doing the deinterlacing in the dvd player is generally preferable.

Many of the Denon's use Faroudja, and I think it varies from model to model which deinterlacing chip is used. The Silicon image deinterlacers are about equal to the Faroudja in film mode deinterlacing, but not as good with Video mode deinterlacing due to not having anything like the Faroudja's DCDI. My advice would be to consider a Panasonic XP30, XP50, or RP82 as they have reference quality video output with top deinterlacing. I would also remind you that deinterlacing is only a part of the overall equation, and your DLP already has the Faroudja chip, so don't get stuck solely on deinterlacing and forget the importance of the other video components. I have seen my friends 50" DLP with the XP30 hooked up and it produces a very good image. He went from a first generation Panasonic to the XP30, and the difference was readily apparent.

So, how do you make the DVD player do it. I have a Sony Grand Vega KF-50WE610 with a Samsung HD931 hooked with DVI. I can't find what kind of Deinterlacer my Sony has. I know the Samsung has DCDI through the DVI. So is the DVD doing the deinterlacing or the t.v.

thanks

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Greg sayeth:

The TV will only do the interlacing if it is fed an interlaced signal, in which case you already know the DVD player isn't doing any deinterlacing. So if you have a player that's sending a progressive signal the the Samsung DLP, try sending an interlaced signal and let the TV do the deinterlacing. You might get a better picture.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Interlaced video is carried on composite (single RCA) or s-video connection. Component cable can carry progressive (480p, non-interlaced) video.

hmmm, well I prolly wont try that with the hd-931 since that would make the 720p/1080i converter useless. Which is the only reason I spent $300 on it. I am thinking about trading it out for the Denon 910.

Thanks for the help on the interlacing shane :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks