What's new

DVD player features (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Looking a various DVD players I see that they range in price from $50 to $1500. But what features are really needed. I not looking to compete with the local Star theater, but my ideal system that I'm looking at is a infocus 4805 FP and a 7.1 reciever (make and model still TBD). So what features are an absolute must, what is nice to have, and what is just overkill? Oh and I'm asking because price is a major factor... Thanks!

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
We cant tell you what you want. Something like the Yamaha C750. Under 400 bucks,changer,SACD and DVD-A. Plays most every type of disc.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Well i'm not asking you to tell me what I want, I jsut don't want to pony up several hundred bucks on a DVD player that does a bunch of stuff that isn't compatiable with the other equpiment I have, or the other way around, like have a 7.1 system and having a DVD player that can't preform at that level, (not sure if that is real, just an example).

I plan on only using it for movies if that helps...

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Weather your reciever is 5.1,6.1,7.1 makes no difference to the player. Like i said,the Yamaha does everything pretty good. If your getting a 7.1 system,does that mean your going with the extra set of surrounds? If so,it doesnt matter to the player.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah i would add on the necessary speaker to make it a 7.1. I guess i just want to make sure that I'm not missing somting from a player that will hurt a surround sound set up of give me a poorer picture on a big screen then what i see on my 27 incher...

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Maybe you could post some basics to narrow it down a little? As you realize, there is a big difference between some of the players available (I think I saw a post about a $9 progressive scan player). Maybe a budget of what you'd like to spend? Then give some of the things you intend to use it for - dvds only, ripped copies, music, changer, upconversion. As someone else suggested, any dvd player with a digital output is fine for 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 sound. You may want to check to make sure your receiver can take any kind of audio input. Or are you just looking for what the differences are every time you add $100 or so to the price of a dvd player? $100-200, $200-300, and on up? That's going to be hard to nail down. But maybe somebody will speak up about what features they like in their $__ player that they couldn't get in a cheaper player?

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Speakers. 6.1 would be a single speaker and 7.1 would be another pair of surrounds. I always thought about half what you paided for a reciever for a dvd player. $800 reciever,400 bucks for a dvd player,more or less.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
i would like to be in the 100 to 200 probably, although someone did mention to me about the denon 1910... which a bit more then that.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
You should have said that in the first place. 200 bucks will get you a decent player. Try shopping.com.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Welcome to the fourms Derek. While your questions are valid, they are pretty subjective and could lead to members disagreeing on what they believe would be the features you absolutely need in a player. This can lead to cofusion and very rarely answers the questions you are posing. Try doing some research and searching these forums to see what the members have to say about the various makes and models of DVD players that are available; this way you can see for yourself what is out there.:)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I guess i thought it was more cut and dry then that. Like, oh you don't need this or you have to have that for the infocus or a 7.1... But from all that I have gathered if I stick to a 100-200 dollar range i'll be ok, it may not be as good as a $1000 one but it will give me a decent picture and quality.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Derek,

One thing I would check is the digital audio inputs on your receiver. Often times a receiver has more optical than coax inputs or more coax than optical inputs. A DVD player that has the type your receiver has more of (or both) will help lessen the pain when you get a HD cable box or game system that only has the type that is less common on your receiver. Besides that, a decent progressive player will do you fine. If you were spending over 200, you could get into upconversion, scaling, etc., but at your budget most are equal to the task (except for the variations in digital audio outputs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks