What's new

DVD player? changer? CD player? HELP! (1 Viewer)

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
I can't decide whether I should have a separate DVD player and CD player, or just get a DVD player and use it for cd's. Also, I don't know if I should go for a disc changer if I only get the dvd player, I think I might. Also, should I get one that matched my receiver? like an HK to match an HK, or is that irrelevant? HELP!

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
i think you should get a separate cd player, but choose well from notable manufacturers, or you'd be better off with your dvd player..
it's not necessary to choose products of the same brand.. they may not necessarily be matched you know.. why not get the best (as your budget allows :->) from different manufacturers?

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jason, tough call. Since I already had a single dvd player (Toshiba SD2700), I ended up getting a 5 disc Marantz cd changer for $200. But I thought about whether I should simply replace the single dvd player with a multi-disc dvd/cd/mp3 changer machine. In the end, I decided, even with budget equipment like I have, I'd rather have them separate for the simple reason if one breaks, I don't lose the capability of both. It's the same reason I'd never buy a combo vcr/dvd player or a combo tv/dvd/vcr type machine. In addition, if they are separate, your dvd player's MTTF will not be lessened by playing CDs :)
cheers,
--tom

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jason, I think the key word in your question is "money" :D
What is your budget? $200? $500? $1,000? or more? In the $200-$400 range, the Marantz players seem to get good mentions which is why I bought one. I think they are about to replace the CC-4000 model with the CC-4300. I have a friend who owns an older Denon $400 single cd player which he likes very much so Denon's product line may be another one to look at.
cheers,
--tom

Geno

Supporting Actor
I have a jvc JVC XL M418BK 6+1 [I will double check the model # tonite when I get home]
Bought in 1995 and its still in perfect condition.
I asked myself the same question you asked in your post.
I have condensed to just my dvd player.

I would take $75 for it.

Although I'd be shipping from Kansas City
If you are interested, please email me

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
i've heard the 541i a few times in their showroom and i liked its detailed sound.. if possible, why don't you give it a look one of these days?

but it might cost a little above 200?

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,
I think you may be wasting your money at a 200 price point. I believe you will be better off doing one of three things:
1. Adding 200 to your DVD player purchase and upgrading that
2. Add an outboard DAC (ART DIO, MSB LinkDac, etc) to your DVD player
3. Save a little and start looking for a used CDP starting in the 400-500 range. Lots of good choices here - Rotel, Arcam, Creek, Adcom, Cal, etc)
I don't believe you will hear a lot of difference between a 200 DVD player and a 200 CDP (especially if you are planning to run the digital out and use the DAC's in your receiver/prepro).

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar dilema before I bought my Rotel 961 single disc CD player. Before that, I was using my Sony 560 DVD player to play CDs, which was not bad. I tried later Sony's CE775 SACD 5disc changer, but its CD sound was just terrible. Even after almost a month of break-in period, my $40 boombox sounded better than that! I didn't care about its SACD sound since I had many CDs, but no SACDs. Anyway, my Rotel sounds smoother than DVD player using digital input, but I have to try hard to hear the difference. With analog input, the improvement is more noticible. (warmer, smooth, and sweet sound). I think Rotel's burbrown DAC is superior to Denon's Sharc DAC.

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
Well I am planning on running the dvd player or cd player into my receiver, yes. so I should either get a dvd player at around 200 or step up to a high priced cd player? does sound quality differ in dvd players much? so, if i use the digital out in my cd/dvd player, the sound quality of the player isnt really important, so when i get a high quality cd player i should use the rca cables? i dont understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks