What's new

dvd in 4:3 vs 'widescreen enhanced" (1 Viewer)

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
Apologies in advance for summoning responses that have surely been posted previously.

I have a sony wega 300 series and I, admittedly, like to marvel at the component video dvd picture when renting dvds. The set has the auto 16:9 mode and I know that is better than not having it, and I sort of know why (scanned lines directed towards picture not letter box area).

The other night I rented my first 'non widescreen enhanced' dvd. It was a new 2002 feature, 'Last Call' based on F. Scott Fitzgerald, for those who need to know.

At 1.33:1, I obviously saw full screen and the 16:9 mode was a moot point. The film did not 'appear' to have the clarity of the other widescreen 16:9 movies I've seen. My question is this, had this film been 'widescreen enhanced' , would I have seen better clarity (as my 16:9 mode would've been utilized)?

Second question, if this film had been say, 1.66:1, but not 'widescreen enhanced'would I have the same clarity that I see currently in 1.33:1?

Thanks for all responses.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If it was 16x9 at 1.78:1 ratio, then you would've gotten the same resolution, but squeezed into a smaller image. So yes, it would probably "appear" sharper/clearer viewed at the same distance assuming your TV is just as good at handling 16x9 mode as regular full screen mode.
If it was non-16x9 at 1.66:1 ratio, then the apparent clarity should be the same.
Well, actually, we could throw in another monkey wrench into the equation if we factor in the telecine and mastering process that might be different for the different versions of the movie, but let's not go there today... :D
_Man_

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This is the made-for-TV movie with Jeremy Irons and Neve Campbell, right? And the picture is 1.33:1, correct?

16:9 enhancement is irrelevant. It can't be done unless is being transferred to video at an aspect ratio wider than 1.33:1. So the answer to your first question is "no -- because it's impossible".

M.

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
Neve campbell...yes..that's the one. "Made for tv movie"..well I guess that explains it, I was wondering why they chose this format. Ok..thanks to both for responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks