What's new

DVD glitch list- Apollo 13 DVD (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Years ago, during the stone age of DVD's in 1997-98, a member here had a DVD website and he used to list DVD's that had glitches when played on certain players. I don't think I see anything similar on this forum and I'm sure these kinds of issues have long past.

I recently tried to play my Apollo 13 DVD, the original Universal disc from 1998 and it wouldn't play on my Pioneer DVL-91. I know about the rot issue with early Universal discs. So I tried the disc on an older Pioneer LD/DVD player and it played fine there and it played fine on a one year old G5 PowerMac.

This leads me to conclude it's either an issue with the DVL-91 or the disc has rotted to a point the DVL-91 can't deal with it but my other players can. I'm fairly certain I have played the disc on the DVL-91 before, a long time ago.

Any insights? Thanks

andySu

Senior HTF Member
If you what a glitch report, chapter 6 on the region 2 DVD UK version, all the centre channel I information from 500Hz to 20KHz is lost for around 1 minute, this is the “nightmare scene” once the scene is over all the information is restored to normal.

Thank goodness I have the THX Laserdisc dts sound, this blows the DVD out of the water for sound!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response Andy. I have a feeling my disc might be bad.

I have that DTS laserdisc too, and it doesn't look too bad.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Nelson

No, no, mate, I was refurring to the region 2 DVD, first edition that was released a few years back, the dts THX Laserdisc is spot on! The DVD is rather puzzling, as to how in the dickens did this error ever pop up, I haven’t got the first clue?

Now I haven’t purchased anymore Apollo 13 films on Laserdisc or DVD, but if the newer version the “10th anniversary edition” now if that is flawless without any loss in the sound, with that “nightmare scene” or any other part in the film, then I might buy it. But now we have HD-DVD now I wonder if that has got any bugs on it! Get the picture!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had got you Andy. I was simply saying that I also have the DTS laserdisc of Apollo 13. And it does sound pretty dandy.

I'm afraid I am not aware of that Region 2 DVD issue during the nightmare sequence. I'm curious to try to see if I can hear on my DVD, if I can figure out why it won't play.

I'm just puzzled why my Region 1 Apollo 13 DVD won't play on one machine, yet plays on 2 others! Of course those machines are not part of my main HT set up.

Yes, as HD or Blu-Ray takes hold, I'll rebuy the winning format disc.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Nelson

It will have nothering to do with the fact, that it may be the “Regional Encoding” on the disc.

Now that you brought this matter up, I have three DVD players in my current home cinema set-up, “Escape From New York” region 2, now she will not play at all on one of my DVD players, I forgot which one, but I’m pretty sure it’s the “Sony” she plays fine on the Pioneer, the point where it will not play is the “main menu” I just can’t get it to play, so I transport it up to the “Pioneer DV-525”.

Nelson, Where do you live in the world mate, has you can see I live in Bournemouth, UK.

Hang on mate, it does sound like the “Escape From New York” region 2 DVD issue!

I don’t know which website that was, but I do remember reading similar reports about, “Something about Mary” this DVD will not play on the best of names that are out there, so I wonder if the problem or the bug as started up again!

And what just what sort of bugs has Blue-Ray or HD-DVD got in store for us!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Andy,

I guess my member info doesn't show my location anymore since the HTF got the new software. I'm in Region 1, Silicon Valley California, USA.

I wasn't trying to start a thread here for glitches, but why not!

Nelson

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Hey Nelson, you can make your location display on your posts once again by adding it in the User CP (I assume that means control panel) area.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Todd

Yeah, what happened to the user features like “text formatting and images” someone must be getting a lot of heat, but hay I don’t mind as long as we can talk.

Nelson

Well that’s all I need to know, nice valley then? I mean with all the mild tremors as this is near the famous “San Andreas fault line”.

So are you a systems programmer?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sorry, I don't maintain The Glitch List anymore. :)

I never got around to checking my original Apollo 13 disc until just recently, and it indeed died--not playing on any DVD player in the house, not even the G5.

Thankfully, even though I had just gotten the HD DVD, I was able to replace the original DVD for its score track (which I believe was dropped from the 10th anniversary release).

- Steve

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Todd, yeah, I hadn't gotten around to it yet! :)

So far no big tremors lately, Andy. There will be a day. We recently had the anniversary for the big 1906 quake that hit San Francisco.

Good to hear from you Steve. Yes, your Glitch list was the one to which I referred. Too bad it won;t play on your G5, funny it plays on my G5.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I think the studios who, are authoring and producing the DVD titles should conduct a rigorous test before final release!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks