What's new

DVD: For the Movie or presentation? (2 Viewers)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I only buy DVDs for films that I love. I never bought a DVD because of its excellent presentation.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I try to only buy DVD's of movies I think I really need to have, although I've misjudged quite a few. In the case of a movie I'm kind of lukewarm about, like Fast and the Furious, an impeccable presentation can push me over the edge.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
To me, you can't have one without the other:

I wouldn't buy my favorite movie in P & S.

I wouldn't buy a movie I dislike for its flawless transfer or audio clarity.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Well, the film is the thing. It is the first reason to buy a DVD. Hell, I bought Belle De Jour even though the DVD is a mess.

Bruce

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I buy my discs for the film (provided it's in OAR). However, I won't pay a high price unless there are plenty of extras. I would only buy a bare-bones disc if the price is low.

DanaA

Screenwriter
My number one consideration is the film itself. I will also consider the quality of the print/sound, as well as extras though, but not nearly as much as the film itself. For instance, if a film like Once Upon A Time In The West comes out on DVD, I'm going to buy it, as long as it has at least a decent quality to it. On the other hand, there are quite a few Criterions that I'm just not interested in buying because I don't care to own the film

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never understood buying a DVD just because of the transfer. A good package will not convince me to buy a bad movie, but a particularly bad transfer will make me not buy a good movie, like in the case of Ran.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
For the movie mostly, but I will say this, I will not buy a movie, even one I like, if it's not anamorphic, OR a very good 4x3 letterboxed transfer like 'Armageddon' Criterion.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
The movie definetely comes first. But as others have said, a bad transfer will make me think twice. I won't buy a disc, even if its reference quality, if I don't like the movie.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
As long as it's OAR, I'll buy a movie I love (almost) regardless of quality. If the disc is great I might buy a movie that I only thought was okay.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have in the past bought movies for their presentation (Godzilla for instance) but in the end, I always got rid of them. A DVD has to have a good movie or it won't last in my collection. After collecting since June 1997, I still only have just 65 DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks