1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD: For the Movie or presentation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Do you buy DVD's just because it has a great transfer and 7.1 sound or is it for the movie?

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I only buy DVDs for films that I love. I never bought a DVD because of its excellent presentation.

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I try to only buy DVD's of movies I think I really need to have, although I've misjudged quite a few. In the case of a movie I'm kind of lukewarm about, like Fast and the Furious, an impeccable presentation can push me over the edge.

4. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Presentation isn't especially important to me. For me, it's a combo of movie + bonus features.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

To me, you can't have one without the other:

I wouldn't buy my favorite movie in P & S.

I wouldn't buy a movie I dislike for its flawless transfer or audio clarity.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, the film is the thing. It is the first reason to buy a DVD. Hell, I bought Belle De Jour even though the DVD is a mess.

Bruce

7. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I buy my discs for the film (provided it's in OAR). However, I won't pay a high price unless there are plenty of extras. I would only buy a bare-bones disc if the price is low.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

My number one consideration is the film itself. I will also consider the quality of the print/sound, as well as extras though, but not nearly as much as the film itself. For instance, if a film like Once Upon A Time In The West comes out on DVD, I'm going to buy it, as long as it has at least a decent quality to it. On the other hand, there are quite a few Criterions that I'm just not interested in buying because I don't care to own the film

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I've never understood buying a DVD just because of the transfer. A good package will not convince me to buy a bad movie, but a particularly bad transfer will make me not buy a good movie, like in the case of Ran.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    For the movie mostly, but I will say this, I will not buy a movie, even one I like, if it's not anamorphic, OR a very good 4x3 letterboxed transfer like 'Armageddon' Criterion.

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

The movie definetely comes first. But as others have said, a bad transfer will make me think twice. I won't buy a disc, even if its reference quality, if I don't like the movie.

12. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

As long as it's OAR, I'll buy a movie I love (almost) regardless of quality. If the disc is great I might buy a movie that I only thought was okay.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have in the past bought movies for their presentation (Godzilla for instance) but in the end, I always got rid of them. A DVD has to have a good movie or it won't last in my collection. After collecting since June 1997, I still only have just 65 DVD's.