What's new

DVD Empire overcgarged for Sports Night (1 Viewer)

Peter Miller

Agent
Did this happend to anyone else who pre-ordered Sports Night from DVD Empire?

I pre-ordered my copy back in August at a price of $63.99, and when it shipped this past Friday I was charged $63.99. The only problem is that DVD Empire is currently selling Sports Night for $47.99!

I wrote them about the overcharge and this is what they sent back:

"Unfortynately what ever prices you order it at stays on your order until its shipped. The only way it can be altered is if you cancel and re order at a different time.
'The Price and/or Release Date of pre-ordered titles are subject to change' this is stated on our site under help and orders.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused"

Basically what they are saying is that I have to keep track of all my pre-orders and see if any of the prices have changed. If any have I have to cancel my pre-order and then pre-order the DVD again to get the new price!

Isn't that their job? Shouldn't they change the price for all current pre-orders for items that have their prices changed before they ship?

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Ask them if they're prepared to let $16.00 end up costing them thousands of dollars in lost revenue plus their reputation among the HTF membership.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Just call them up (READ: on the phone) and ask tell them your situation... I am 99.999999999% positive that they will refund the difference.
I had the same problem with an item at DDD (preordered 'The Royal Tenenbaums'... price went down 2 days before release and I was charged the price I preordered at)... they instantly refunded the difference onto my credit card without question. So there ya go :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moving this to Retail and Wholesale Vendor Feedback.
I'm surprised you got that email response. This has happened to me several times in the past, and Empire has always credited me for the difference. Either they've changed their policy, or your email was answered by somebody new.
I'd second Rob Lutter's suggestion to call them on the phone. I wouldn't even mention the email exchange, but just politely ask them to give you the newer price.
M.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I too am very surpised. In fact so far I've had 4 preorders drop in price and each time I went to delete and add it back at the lower price I found I didn't have to because they already lowered the price on my order.

Pete L

Agent
I just had the exact same thing happen with DVD Empire as described by Peter Miller: one catalogue title in a larger order that just shipped got price-dropped by $3.50 (before it shipped), but not on my order - where it stayed at the higher price. Unfortunately I only found out about this after the fact.
So I emailed them and got exactly the reply quoted above. I would call them , as someone suggested above, but they apparently have no 800 number, so the long-distance call would probably cost more than the $3.50 in dispute.

Interesting, too, that I had the same experience over The Royal Tenenbaums at DDD that Rob Lutter describes: price dropped, I emailed them, and they credited the difference. I wonder how many people called them on that.

Notwithstanding my disappointment over this 'policy' at DVD Empire, I'm still pleased with them overall and will continue to buy from them, though my primary source will continue to be DDD.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
If you have not yet opened the package, simply mark it "REFUSED: RETURN TO SENDER" and reorder at the new price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks