What's new

DVD-Audio connection help (1 Viewer)

Frank Palazzolo

Auditioning
Hey guys, I have the Denon avr-3300 receiver and I would like to hook up my new Panasonic RP-82 for analog input to get the true surround greatness that DVD-A now offers me. I am really not sure how to hook everything up as far as settings go through the reciever menu's or the new dvd player menu's for that matter. I was hoping that somebody out there might have a similar configuration who could help me out. I now have the component output on the rp-82 going to the component input on the TV (Sony Wega xbr-250). Which is working fine, then I have the digital coax out on the rp-82 going to input on the receiver which is also working fine. The next thing I did was hook up 6 rca cables to the outputs on the dvd player and run them to the 5.1 inputs on the receiver which I though would be correct. I believe that this may be right because I notice a sound quality difference immediately when playing a dvd-a disk. The problem is that now that these two connections are connected (digital coax, analog 5.1) The lowest volume setting on the receiver which is -60 is blaring loud for some reason. I hope that this all makes sense to somebody because my wife won't let me have movies and dvd-a disks at this volume for much longer. She is convinced that the new dvd player is broken so she is begging me to take it back now. I am laughing at her but If I can't figure this out I will either go crazy or never hear the end of it. Maybe I should try hooking the 6 analog output cables to the ext in on the back of the receiver???? HELP ME PLEASE! my marriage may depend on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!:frowning:

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Are you sure you've hooked the 6 RCA cables into a "6-channel input" that is volume controlled (as other inputs are), or are the 6-channel receiver inputs you're using actually direct inputs to the amplifier stage (i.e. not volume controlled)?
EDIT: I found a picture of the back of your receiver.
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/test...-3300_rear.jpg
Looks like the Ext. In jacks should work... Maybe others can help here.
-JNS

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Yup, ext in...they have the inputs named for you also, subwoofer, center, LF, LR etc. Don't forget to press the ext in button on your denon remote when playing the dvd-a. I don't know about the panasonic as far as having to select dvd-audio in the menu somewhere or if it is done automatically.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Yes, your Panasonic DVDA player should be hooked into the Denon via the EXT. IN 6 Channel inputs at the rear of the Receiver.
6 analog cables from the dvda to the Denon. Use the FR,FL,SW,C,SR and SL. Don't need the other 2.

Then push the EXT.IN button in the front when starting a DVDA.

I also have the Denon 3300 and use a Panasonic RP91.

Because I use smaller speakers and a sub, I added a Outlaw Audio ICBM bass management box into the mix. It sends all the bass to the subs and has crossovers to properly set my speakers.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Frank,
Look at pages 26 and 27 of your Denon 3300 manual. I believe you have to set the multi channel input up for variable volume. Hope this helps.

Greg Johnson

Frank Palazzolo

Auditioning
Thanks for the tips guys... I am using the ext in jacks and its working great! Cant thank you enough for your input! :D :D :D

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Ok, now buy a romantic dvd-a, candles and a bottle of wine to keep her in a good mood for your next purchase!:D

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Good to hear Frank!

It's always a blast to hear wonderful DVDA when I press that EXT. IN button.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks