Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I picked up the DVD-A of Stage, by David Bowie. It has three sound options:

5.1 DTS 24/48
2.0 PCM 24/48
5.1 DVD-A 24/48

Now, my music listening is two-channel. It's a choice I made a couple of years back when I got weary of 5.1 "showy" mixes and decided to simplify my life.

Here's my question -- is there any audio quality difference, aside from the multiple channels, between the DVD-A track and the PCM track?

I wouldn't even ask, except I have a DVD-A of On The Beach by Neil Young that has a stereo 48/192 track that appears as DVD-A rather than PCM in the little readout thingy on my DVD player. Does PCM as a format not support 48/192? Is this just some bugaboo of my player? Am I losing something (aside from the multiple channels) by selecting the PCM track?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You mean 24/192 - correct? DVD-A is PCM based so PCM can have higher resolutions - a CD is 16/44.1 - that is the CD spec. Neil Young's 'Greatest Hits' deluxe ed., includes a CD and a DVD-V with audio only content at 24/96 PCM. DVD-A uses MLP (meridian lossless packing) so that it can fit more stuff on a disc. I am not familiar with the particular disc but some could offer Dolby Digital 2.0 which is compressed and not the same as 24/48 PCM. I prefer stereo most the time as well. If you use the multi-channel DVD-A track and just play the 2 front channels then you may not get the same mix.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

The player has a downmix option, which I've tried, but the mixes are decidedly different and the downmix sounds slightly wrong, probably because it's a downmix.

Thanks for the MLP info -- that's probably the difference. I stuck the disc into a non DVD-A player and it offers up the DTS 5.1 and the PCM 2.0 24/48, so that must be why it's PCM instead of DVD-A -- for compatibility. Otherwise they'd have to put a DD track on it to conform to DVD spec, right?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
24/48 PCM is a good thing instead of DVD-A mainly since DVD-V players not equiped with DVD-A can play back the higher resolution. That's why the Neil Young "Greatest Hits" on the (audio only) DVD-V offers the higher resolutions. Several audiophile labels offered this type of thing before DVD-A, called DADs (audio only DVDs). I have about a dozen of them, mostly from Classic Records and a couple from Chesky records and then sound great. On an old DVD-V player, I was able to choose the audio output at either 48kHz (std. DVD) and 96kHz. I ran them thru an old DAC (that will do 48kHz and they sounded great in my old set-up (with my current set-up - run 96kHz). That's the other advantage of PCM 24/48 - can run it thru an outboard DAC (that typically has a better analog output stage than yourHT rec'r or perhaps even preamp) via the digital out of the player. You can't take DVD-A out of the digital output (with the exception of proprietary stuff like Meridian gear). So you also can listen to the PCM via a digital output and decide what you like best in your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks