What's new

DVD-A / SACD Combo players ??? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Where are they? Each camp claims that they aren't out for a "format war", and yet I have not seen the combo players that I've expected, and the trade press has hinted at.
With only a single set of analog inputs on my Denon 4700, it seems silly for me to buy one or the other at this juncture, since I'd have to jury-rig a switch of some sort to add the second component.
So here's all I'm looking for: a five disc Multi-channel SACD / DVD-A player for

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jeff,
Its not wrong its just a little ahead of its time. With new chipsets coming out that incorporate both SACD and DVD-A decoding, we should see your wish come true but probably not this model year.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
However, watch that they don't use DAC's that turn DSD bitstreams from SACDs into PCM. Any benefit from DSD recording technology goes straight out the window then.
Dan

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There already is a player out there with multi-channel SACD and DVD-A capability.
Oh wait, you said less than $1000. :)
(The $5000 Pioneer machine...)
------------------

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Hmmmmmmmmm....... quite the machine. Progressive scan. Karaoke. The two most important features an audiophile/videophile would want!! LOL
Seriously, it doesn't give the complete specs. As was said above, does it convert DSD into PCM.
Is the SACD multi-channel?
Price?
Interesting unit to watch though.
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. Even if this isn't the player to buy, it's a darn good sign of things to come. Thanks for the post, John!
While I'm wishing, let's make it a Denon, a modification of their current progressive player - yeah that's it.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Or better yet, make it a DVDA/multichannel SACD playin version of Phillips upcoming Faroudja-equipped progressive DVD player (DVQ-50, I believe)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw DVD Player (quoted from their most recent "latest news" email):
As you all know, the DVD market is moving very quickly. Prices are coming down and technology is moving at an incredibly fast pace. Our goal continues to be a high-performance, high-value product that delivers "phile" level playback at an Outlaw price. We're also hopeful that we will be able to be among the first to combine both DVD-Audio and SACD capability in a single player, but it's still a bit to early to make that a firm promise. We're also looking at both digital and analog options that would permit us to include complete bass management capabilities.
I'm hopeful!
yum.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks