DVD-A question, using it with DAC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shion_ca, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,
    In an effort to improve upon my source I was considering a DAC, however I noticed that with the new SACD format it would be useless as SACD doesn't play digital out. Anyone think this will change in the future?

Does DVD-A differ in this regard and can DVD-A play an enhanced 2 channel mode like SACD? Your help in this regard would be much appreciated as I've received a couple of different answers about this question.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

DVD-A is similar to SACD in that there is no digital output support for the format. You must use analog outputs to transport the signals. The only exception I am aware of is Pioneer and Denon's proprietary digital connections, which only work with their own players & receivers. There is no standard for SACD or DVD-Audio over digital connections.

3. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

the problem lies i copy protection - as far as the digital ouputs is concerned. I wouldn't think it is possible in the near future. Most DVD A discs allow for a separate 2 channel mix which seems to be superior to a CD.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Scott,

Meridian and Muse also offer proprietary digital outputs between their components.

In addition, MSB can modify your DVD-A player with outputs compatible with their Link DACs.

Doug,

There's more than just copy protection at stake. There is also bandwidth. The datastream for DVD-A and SACD exceed the capacity of the S/PDIF and TOSLink interfaces. I'm not talking about the capacity of the cable to carry data, I'm talking about the defined maximums of the interfaces in use.

This is why you will see changeover to higher bandwidth interfaces like Firewire and DVI.

Regards,