What's new

Dvd-5 &dvd-9? (1 Viewer)

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone explain to me what those terms refer to.I just saw them today and wondered hmmmm.Thanks.:confused:

The real problem is how can we identify dvd5 or dvd9 disc>? its really hard to spot the differences (physically i mean)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
previously DVD9 discs would be golden in colour, DVD5s would be silver and look just like CDs. but nowadays, I understand that DVD9s are also silvery.

I think that looking at the inner ring, you may see two sets of ID numbers, one for each layer. but generally, I would imagine common-sense would tell you that a 2hr plus movie, with DD5.1 and DTS and a fair number of extras has to be dual layered, i.e. DVD9.

as an aside, I was at the hifi shop recently and another customer, an American, came in complaining about his receiver. he had a number of DVDs with him for testing, some pirated (whcih was part of the problem, actually, but that's another story). pirates sometimes expressly label their disc-covers "DVD9" as a selling point.

he said that a lot of his original, US-bought discs were single-layer DVD5s, and only recent movies, or older "big" movies, were released on DVD9s. he swore that according to his database of movies, most of his discs were DVD5 and only newer discs (from last year onwards) were DVD9.

anyone have a feel as to what's correct? personally I would've thought that only discs from the early days, i.e. late 90s, would be single layer, and by late 1999 or 2000 most would be double already.

unless im going color blind, i think i saw some dvd5 disc in gold color as well.

There are no marks or identification on the inner ring on both dvd9 or dvd5.

hey yee ming! where are you from ? malaysia ?

nice to meet you yee ming!
Yes, pirated dvds are common in SE Asia but i myself have original dvd9 from UK, US and there are no marks on the disc as well !! the only way we know if the label on the dvd jewel case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks