Dvd-5 &dvd-9?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harry W, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

Can someone explain to me what those terms refer to.I just saw them today and wondered hmmmm.Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Different capacity of DVD and numbers for single/dual sided. A DVD-5 means it is Single Sided with a single layer (so it holds 4.37 gig), DVD-9 means single sided, double layered (so it holds 7.95 gig).
    Check out the DVD FAQ:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html#3.3

3. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Vince[​IMG]

4. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

The real problem is how can we identify dvd5 or dvd9 disc>? its really hard to spot the differences (physically i mean)

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    previously DVD9 discs would be golden in colour, DVD5s would be silver and look just like CDs. but nowadays, I understand that DVD9s are also silvery.

I think that looking at the inner ring, you may see two sets of ID numbers, one for each layer. but generally, I would imagine common-sense would tell you that a 2hr plus movie, with DD5.1 and DTS and a fair number of extras has to be dual layered, i.e. DVD9.

as an aside, I was at the hifi shop recently and another customer, an American, came in complaining about his receiver. he had a number of DVDs with him for testing, some pirated (whcih was part of the problem, actually, but that's another story). pirates sometimes expressly label their disc-covers "DVD9" as a selling point.

he said that a lot of his original, US-bought discs were single-layer DVD5s, and only recent movies, or older "big" movies, were released on DVD9s. he swore that according to his database of movies, most of his discs were DVD5 and only newer discs (from last year onwards) were DVD9.

anyone have a feel as to what's correct? personally I would've thought that only discs from the early days, i.e. late 90s, would be single layer, and by late 1999 or 2000 most would be double already.

6. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

unless im going color blind, i think i saw some dvd5 disc in gold color as well.

There are no marks or identification on the inner ring on both dvd9 or dvd5.

hey yee ming! where are you from ? malaysia ?

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    no Michael, down south in Singapore.

8. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

nice to meet you yee ming!
    Yes, pirated dvds are common in SE Asia but i myself have original dvd9 from UK, US and there are no marks on the disc as well !! the only way we know if the label on the dvd jewel case.