What's new

Dunkin Donuts Eggs...Oh the arguments I get into... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the meaningless rant (but isn't that what this section is for :D). Please help me with an issue that just seems to bring my friend and I to fisticuffs.

It's about the eggs at Dunkin Donuts. She can't stand when I order them because she says they are fake. I understood that there is something odd going on with them (because they're so perfect) but I still don't consider them to be fake.

According to DnD's site (on the nutrition page):
https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus...ches&id=DD-771
Eggs:Now, I understand that a lot of that stuff is meant to preserve the egg and some of it is "filler", but I still stand behind my conviction that it's a REAL egg.

My friend says that it's no longer a real egg because it has been altered. My response to that was "If you take and egg and add salt and pepper to it, before you cook it, then you are altering the egg, so it must be fake?" and she said this would make it fake. :rolleyes:

I'm sure most will agree with my friend and say it's fake, but considering they use real eggs, it's still a freaking egg. Sure, they probably separate the white and the yolk, add preservatives, and then put it back together, but it's still an egg, which makes it real.

If it were completely made of 'artificial' ingredients, then I'd disagree. I realize that it's not 100% real, but in order for it to be fake, it wouldn't contain eggs and they DO! This is where I can't find myself calling them fake.

Any ideas???

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Xantham Gum. Spearmint. From the planet Xantham. I guess.

I am slightly addicted to the sausage & egg on a croissant thing at DD. It's just this side of greasy gross, and it's less mechanical, less assembly line, than McDs breakfast stuff.

The eggs always struck me as weird tho. But no weirder than, say, using a round mold to cook sunny side up eggs in your own frying pan at home. You can get the molds at Pampered Chef, etc. They allow you to make eggs that fit on English Muffins and stuff.

You never see them in the act of physically cracking the eggs at DD, tho. When do they do that part? Where does the egg come from? And which came first...?

MC

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
This was what I was explaining to my friend as well. She kept saying they were fake because they were too perfect. I told her about the device to cook and egg that way, but then she was like "But the whites are too white and the yolks are perfect" - I just think that's because they don't fry them. They probably steam or heat them just to the point where they're solid, then (after they've been delivered to the stores) the DnD employee finishes the cooking off in the microwave.

In fact, they probably add all of those preservative so that they don't have to cook the eggs as much (thus making them look "cleaner" or "fake"). This must keep them fresher so that they don't go bad before they reach the stores.

Again, they're still not "fake".

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Or maybe they buy something like those egg beaters, but with real egg already blended up and ready to use?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL, I just did a search for Egg Beaters and the official site description says: made from real eggs.

Maybe I should take this approach with my friend. DnD eggs are "made from" real eggs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
your friend is either alittle goofy or pulling your leg.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Well, according to the ingredient list, they *contain* eggs, but they're, shall we say, beyond being eggs.

I guess the idea here would be, 'is a McDonalds Hamburger "real" hamburger?' Well, if you're comparing it to what you get when you take a side of beef and run it through a grinder, and slap it on a grill, then no. But it does mostly consist of dead cow, so it's close enough.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
I think you're both confusing the concept of being "real" with being "unadulterated".

I'm not sure what you'd do with and unreal egg or an unreal hamburger... perhaps someone from the 5th dimension can chime in and let us know.

-Mike

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Hey! I'm from the 5th Dimension! That was my cue! I wait all day for this kind of thing!

You make an unreal egg and unreal hamburger sandwich!

I love it when I can really contibute, you know?

MC

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agreed that they weren't 100% real, but my point is, they're still eggs. She doesn't think so. She thinks that once you add something to it, it's now considered "fake".

The closest thing I can think of is the chicken breasts where they take the chicken meat, blend it with preservatives, then make a mold of it to resemble a chicken breast. Is it still fake chicken? It may not be 100% real chicken breast, but it's still made from real chicken.

Or what about pressboard? Is this no longer considered wood??

You can see how heated this topic gets between my friend and I. :D

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
They're eggs, they're just not *pure* eggs.

No, somebody in the back of the restaruant doesn't pull a pair of eggs from a fridge, crack them over a skillet, cook them, and serve them.

But they're not made from undifferentiated protien and gluten, carefully spun and folded and colored and textured to be incredibly egg-like; they're eggs, with stuff added to make them have a consistant....consistency; colour, texture, taste and the like, as well as increase shelf life, uniform cooking times, and so on.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Depends on what you mean by a "real" contribution. Do you mean it's a PURE contribution or just created from parts of a contribution with other pieces?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks