What's new

Dune Special Edition Directors Cut (1 Viewer)

Mark Lemmond

Stunt Coordinator
I recently ordered the 3 disk Dune SE DC from columbia house, my first set was sent in a box that was to big and when I got it, it had bounced around in the box and the discs had come off of their little teeth and were all scratched up. I called columbia house and had them send me a replacement they did and it had 2 plain brown dune discs for the first 2 discs (my guess was discs from the first release of the Dune mini-series) and the 3rd disc was the correct SE disc. I called them again and had them send me another it came yesterday and was just like the second set I got first 2 wrong and last 1 right.

Can someone please post a picture of the correct discs for the DC of Dune and a picture for the first release of Dune so I can show the people at columbia House what I'm talking about. This is really starting to piss me off.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Columbia House presses their own CD's and DVD's. So they can make what ever picture they want on the Disc's themselves. The content itself is probably the same as the DC version but with the arwork of the TV version. This is one reason why I do not do business with this company. That and I can't wait weeks for a disc.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
No, they are givin the same source materials to press from. But they do press their own discs. So Does BMG.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The do not press their own DVDs. They do press their own CDs. Joshua, you are misinformed.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
True, Columbia House & BMG only press their own CD's not DVD's, which is why I never buy a CD at a used record store if it has the CH or BMG logo on it as they almost always get second or third generation copies of the material and sound generally inferior to the originals...most of the time anyway.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I never buy a CD at a used record store if it has the CH or BMG logo on it as they almost always get second or third generation copies of the material and sound generally inferior to the originals...most of the time anyway.
Sorry, that makes no sense. It's not like we're talking analog tape here. The CD's from CH/BMG are going to sound exactly the same as what you buy in the store.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jeff on this one, that the music cd's should sound the exact same. As for the DVD pressings, I stand corrected. ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
To my knowledge as of five years ago that was the basic practice of these CD houses, they generally can only obtain second & third generation copies of copies for their music divisions to release, at least from other studios not affiliated with them & certainly not on older releases.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Right, but the point is, it doesn't matter what generation it is, CDs will always sound exactly the same thanks to being digital. You could burn a copy at home and it would still be the same.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
It can matter what the generation is. The entire process is important. Listen to an XRCD or MoFi release. The entire chain from instrument to the final CD is important and problems exist at each step in the process. This is something that is well documented. CD's from Columbia House and BMG are generally thought to be inferior because there are supposedly corners cut in the process. I can't verify this since I never buy CD's from these sources.

I can verify that the LP's issued by Columbia were indeed inferior in audio and materials quality.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, no matter what format you use "Garbage in-Garbage out" is pretty much a constant, any Third or Fourth generation copy is not going to be as good as the original (with some second generation copies you really have to listen closely to notice any difference).
Right, but the point is, it doesn't matter what generation it is, CDs will always sound exactly the same thanks to being digital.
I'm not sure if you understand what we mean by "Second or Third generation copy" but I'll try and explain what little I know about it, even though a CD is a digital format delivery system that doesn't mean that the audio it is delivering is also mastered from a digital medium, in fact I would say that 7 or 8 times out of ten it is from a analog master. But if you are saying that a copy of a digital master from an analog recording (AAD) should sound the same because it is still in the digital medium then I think it depends on whether the digital master was taken from a copy to begin with.
I will do more research on this but I have heard many examples of how a BMG or CH CD was inferior to an original, one I can name off the top of my head and that I personally own both versions of is Jimi Hendrix : Radio One from RYKO Disc. There is a high noise table already inherent in the original mono recordings anyway but the original RYKO disc has a much more subdued background hiss that, upon side by side comparison, is noticeably amplified on the BMG disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks