Dune Special Edition Directors Cut

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lemmond, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Mark Lemmond

Mark Lemmond Stunt Coordinator

I recently ordered the 3 disk Dune SE DC from columbia house, my first set was sent in a box that was to big and when I got it, it had bounced around in the box and the discs had come off of their little teeth and were all scratched up. I called columbia house and had them send me a replacement they did and it had 2 plain brown dune discs for the first 2 discs (my guess was discs from the first release of the Dune mini-series) and the 3rd disc was the correct SE disc. I called them again and had them send me another it came yesterday and was just like the second set I got first 2 wrong and last 1 right.

Can someone please post a picture of the correct discs for the DC of Dune and a picture for the first release of Dune so I can show the people at columbia House what I'm talking about. This is really starting to piss me off.

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Columbia House presses their own CD's and DVD's. So they can make what ever picture they want on the Disc's themselves. The content itself is probably the same as the DC version but with the arwork of the TV version. This is one reason why I do not do business with this company. That and I can't wait weeks for a disc.

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

4. Joshua Moran

No, they are givin the same source materials to press from. But they do press their own discs. So Does BMG.

5. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The do not press their own DVDs. They do press their own CDs. Joshua, you are misinformed.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

True, Columbia House & BMG only press their own CD's not DVD's, which is why I never buy a CD at a used record store if it has the CH or BMG logo on it as they almost always get second or third generation copies of the material and sound generally inferior to the originals...most of the time anyway.

8. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

9. Joshua Moran

I agree with Jeff on this one, that the music cd's should sound the exact same. As for the DVD pressings, I stand corrected. [​IMG]

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

To my knowledge as of five years ago that was the basic practice of these CD houses, they generally can only obtain second & third generation copies of copies for their music divisions to release, at least from other studios not affiliated with them & certainly not on older releases.

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Right, but the point is, it doesn't matter what generation it is, CDs will always sound exactly the same thanks to being digital. You could burn a copy at home and it would still be the same.

12. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

It can matter what the generation is. The entire process is important. Listen to an XRCD or MoFi release. The entire chain from instrument to the final CD is important and problems exist at each step in the process. This is something that is well documented. CD's from Columbia House and BMG are generally thought to be inferior because there are supposedly corners cut in the process. I can't verify this since I never buy CD's from these sources.

I can verify that the LP's issued by Columbia were indeed inferior in audio and materials quality.

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yes, no matter what format you use "Garbage in-Garbage out" is pretty much a constant, any Third or Fourth generation copy is not going to be as good as the original (with some second generation copies you really have to listen closely to notice any difference).