What's new
World Wide Stereo

Dumb question, but how much diff. between a SA-WM40 and a Shiva? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
The title pretty much says my question. I currently have a stuffed Sony SA-WM40 and am looking at possibly upgrading. When I got the sub, i assured my wife that it would satisfy me, but recently I got a complete surround sound setup (upgraded from 2 Vega towers) and the bass is definatley the weak point of the system. I have looked at the graphs that people have posted and what not, but I have never heard a Shiva so it is hard for me to justify spending all that money when I haven't experienced "good bass" myself. I know this prob. isn't a real clear post, but I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
This is like comparing a Hugo to a Corvette. People get what they pay for...... ;)

Buy a Shiva, get a plate amp, and build one of the Shiva plans on the Adire website. You'll be a happy camper.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Just to give you an idea compared to a commercial sub, the Shiva has similar output capabilities as the SVS CS/PCi line. So would you take your stuffed Sony or an SVS?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

If you've got Alzheimers then how would you know if this was your first "moment" or not?:)

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
If you've got Alzheimers then how would you know if this was your first "moment" or not?
lol.... that's what i was thinking... :D

Jeff: no comparison... sell the sony and go for the shiva! But be warned... upgrading can be addictive, and you may eventually move up further...

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Okay guys, we almost have him in the DIY trap, just one more step and we'll have him.....:D

Just kidding, as the others have mentioned it will give more output, be more accurate, and you'll have the satisfaction of building it yourself.

Oh! gees my first Alzheimers moment, and it's online...
I, for one, am glad. Now maybe he will come down to our knowledge level a bit:D

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I know in my head that it is worth it, but I haven't ever heard/felt "good bass" so I can not justify it 100%. I guess some things take a leap of faith, but it seems like an expensive leap. (I know, not real expensive comparativly speaking, but still expensive to me).

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I was on the exact same fence... deciding between an inexpensive commercial sub and a DIY shiva. I eventually built the Shiva. It was also more money than I had considered spending at the time. When it was finished, it was immediately clear to my wife and me that it was SO worth it.

Go for it. But the advice you've been given about catching the upgrade bug AND the DIY bug is 100% correct. Watch yourself.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
When I built my first DIY sub I used a DVC 12" from Parts Express. It is similar to the Shiva. I would recommend the Shiva or the PE DVC12". Once you get started it is hard to stop. I now have a Tumult in a 178 L ported box. The Tumult will run you out of the room.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Jeff,
Yes, building your first DIY sub is a complete leap of faith and is quite scary but I promise that with the help of the forum members here and using quality components you can make a sub that will continually bring a smile to your face. :D

Dean Mar

Stunt Coordinator
As Greg states " Once you get started it is hard to stop."

Jeff, you are getting some excellent advice here from from some very knowedgeable people. You will not be disapointed if you build the Shiva. If you don't have the tools or woodworking skills, check out Kyle's website and contact him.

Greg, when the next latest and greatest driver comes out, you will probably be building again and it will run you right out of your house !:)

Geno

Supporting Actor
jeff, is the Mo in location mean missouri? are you anywhere near KC? i can recomend a few places to go to hear some great commercial subs. i dont know anyone with a SVS though.

let me know

Geno

Supporting Actor
here is a comparison

sony - a 10 year old kicks you in the chest pounding bass.

shiva - an elephant jumps on your chest pounding bass.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Geno,
The "Mo" does mean Missouri. I am near Springfield.

Everyone,
You are making it sound almost irresistable. The more posts I read, the more I want to upgrade.

On another note, is there a simple and fairly cheap way to make MDF the same color of black as my speakers? (Paradigm Titans,CC 270, Atoms (black ash finish))

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I took my "leap of faith" about 2 years ago. Closed my eyes and jumped in head first, building a dual Tempest sonosub with a Hypex HS500 amp. Total expenditure was about $900.

1/2 way through the project I had doubts. Didn't see how 2 relatively inexpensive drivers, some MDF, and a big cardboard tube could even make noise, let alone earth moving bass. YEP, I was dead wrong and truly amazed when I first heard it. I couldn't be happier with my sub.

My only recommendation: build a Tempest sub, so you won't have "builder's remorse" down the road.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Jeff: black ash PE vinyl laminate will be an excellent way to match your mains if you build a "box" sub with square corners.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=118198&DID=7

If you do a sonosub, your best bet would be to find some black "ribbing" material to use as a "sock" for the tube. You could probably use the vinyl stuff on the endcaps. I very seriously considered doing this on my most recent sub. It would be more difficult than applying the stuff to a box as there are curves involved, but I think it's possible. Or just paint 'em black. Duplicolor truck bedliner spray might look nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks