What's new

Duke Nukem Forever.... beyond a joke. (2 Viewers)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
There was some sort of stoush last year over exactly that. The distributors who paid for rights (I forget which company) publically 'wrote off' their investment in DNF, much to the noisy dismay of George Broussard. Broussard's comment on another board was that the write-off was a good idea for those distributors as it would mean 'pure profit' for them when the game finally came out. I wonder if any companies will be lining up to invest in further Duke adventures after all this.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
The wait for this game is similar to wait for the album "Chinese Democracy" from Axl Rose.

That album is also a running joke, but at least Axl has completed half a US tour, some international festivals and 6 new songs that have been heard so far.

All 3d Realms has had to show is a few clips at a trade show more then 2 years ago.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
This is probably the dumbest question I have ever asked on this forum, but here it goes:

Any update on this?

edit: I checked the 3drealms site, no news, but I found it funny they are running a contest, and first prize is DNF(when its released), 2nd prize is a copy of DN Manhattan Project.

In this case isnt 2nd prize better, since you will actually get a prize?

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Check out what was said in Take Two's latest conference call.
Absolutely not, although it has been frustrating in terms of committing to a ship date. But the 3D Realms guys continue to work. They are using the Doom 3 technology, which is finished. They are a premier developer, but they certainly believe in no {w}ine before it's time. So they want to deliver a great game, and we are anxiously waiting for updates from them.
That quote comes from Gamespot.
You have got to be kidding me. What's next, DNF based on the Unreal Engine 3.0?

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
They have got to be kidding us. First 3D Realms used the Quake 2 engine for DNF, then they switched to the unreal engine, & now they claim that they are using the Doom 3 engine.

I bet ya, the minute another powerful game engine comes out, 3D Realms will claim that they will be using it for DNF.

Duke Nukem Forever, the name kind of means what's happening right now cause we will be waiting forever for this game.

I don't even think that they have a game, I think they are pulling our chains. This game has been in development for almost 7 yrs.

James T

Screenwriter
They're going to switch to the Half-Life 2 engine in a couple months. Just by looking at the HL2 trailers, you can do so much more than in Doom3.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
That is a result of the physics system rather than the engine. Tech-wise the D3 engine is superior to Source in a number of ways as well as really pushing current hardware to the limit. Source looks great though (been playing the Source port of Counter Strike for a while in beta) and is a different style. Should be a big hit for Valve as usual.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Just when you thought it was dead, PC Gamer has an article in the latest issue titled "Duke Nukem Soon...". PC Gamer has actually seen the game in action and confirms that it is in fact real!

Here's a summary of what the article says.

It is too early for 3D Realms to unveil the game, but it is in active development right now. George Broussard said that DNF was in limbo because they threw out everything in late 2002, and started over using the Unreal engine with their own custom rendering technology on top of it. The DNF team has been moving forward and have been on-track ever since that point. 3D Realms has most of the weapons, creatures, levels, and gameplay done. Right now they are throwing all of those elements together to make the final game. PC Gamer saw some of the interactions between Duke and the environment and it all keeps the spirit of Duke Nukem 3D alive, and it is the Duke that we all came to love in 1996. The game will not be at E3 this year because Broussard doesn't feel compelled to submit the game prematurely. PC Gamer also states that the game is currently slated to come out in 2006, the 10th anniversary of Duke Nukem 3D.

All I gotta say is, bring it on! I'll buy a copy on release day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks