What's new

Dual Voice Coil Plots in Bassbox (1 Viewer)

Could someone help me understand why in Bassbox Pro 6 when I select the Stryke AV15 (4 of them) and check the Dual Voice coil box (it has dual 2 ohm VC's) and wire them in series (series parallel for the drivers) for a end result of 4 ohms, the plot looks different than if I was to leave the driver as Harris Tech has it entered (Single Voice Coil with a impedence of 4 ohms?

I have picture if I could post them. Maybe I can emaial them to someone ?

The main thing I notice is the Impedence graph..like 80 ohms!! is this a flaw with Bass Box? (probably not)..or me? Really strange..i know the impedenace can;t be that hihg..Can it? :)

Thanks

Doug

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Doug,

I use bassbox. The info in the database shows both coils in series for a 4ohm load. If you want to set it up as a DVC driver and model with coils in series or parallel you have to get the values correct for them. You need to get the parameters out of the single section and into the series section. That is what they really are, but they can be treated as a single coil. Then you need to fix the parameters for parallel if you want to go that way. Re will be .749 ohm, Bl will be 7.767, Le is .6mh. Qes will be the same. The rest should calculate.

You won't want to use individual because that assumes you are only hooking up one coil and the other is unused. BL then goes way down, Q goes way up since you only use half the wire in the gap.

John

John,

Thanks for the reply. So if I was going to use 4 drivers (hooked up in a series/parallel setup (to end up with a 4 ohm impedance), I would not have to change anything or check the DVC box. Since they are set up as BOTH coils wired in series as a default...correct?

Doug

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Yep, that is correct. I figured majority of people would want coils in series so I just enter the parameters that way. They model exactly the same in parallel too, except you get a different overall impedance. Box calculations are identical.

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I really don't know the magnet weight. It really isn't at all important. I do know the dimensions. There is a double stack of 6 1/4" diameter x 1" thick magnets.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.