DTS Problem with a TOSLink and Kenwood VR-509

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian_E, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Christian_E

Christian_E Auditioning

I have a Kenwood VR-509 Receiver and a Panasonic RP56 DVD PLayer. DTS doesn't work when using any of the optical inputs. The problem is that the DVD only has optical out. I tested DTS with the COAX with another DVD player and it detects the DTS signal just fine. I am not sure if there is a problem with the DVD's Optical out ( Dolby Digital works fine) or the receivers TOSLink inputs. The lack of a COAX out makes it diffucult to figure it out. I am wondering where the problem would most likely lie or maybe i have something misconfigured ( i don't think so). any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

2. Christian_E

Christian_E Auditioning

ummm yeah sure i did you think i don't know what i am doing [​IMG] haha of course i didn't. Thanks a lot. That took all of 3 secs to solve =] Why would DTS be disabled by default? seems rather strange.
    Christian

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

What are your impressions of that receiver? I am seriously considering the VR-510 at the moment. Can't beat the feature set for $399 plus $25 shipping. PL2, THX cert, 110x5, pre-outs. But I am reticant because Kenwood is not the best name in electronics. Also I checked it out and the build quality is so-so. But maybe I am being too superficial.

4. Christian_E

Christian_E Auditioning

so far for the price its quite nice. featurewise its great and the remote is very good for a receiver in this range.

Christian

5. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Eric:

I have the VR-407 for a little over a year now and it has been a solid performer for me. I wouldn't hesitate at all. In fact my next receiver will probably be a Kenwood.

Michael.

(Saving up for a real TV and DVD player.....)