DTS or Dolby....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Sorry, but I'm a newcomer trying to understand this hobby-

Which is "preferred"? What determines which one is chosen - the dvd player or the receiver? Can both be set to automatic?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    They are not that much different. Given a choice however, I will usually choose DTS 9 times out of 10, becuase I feel they frequently sound better.

This is actually determined by the disc itself, as to whether it has a DTS track or not. Most setups default to DD in automatic mode, as that is the standard for DVD. There MUST be some version of Dolby on a disc.

3. Dick Fitzwell

Dick Fitzwell Auditioning

On paper/statistically DTS is the better of the two.
    In a real life comparison, thats subjective and open to debate. It depends on if you have a head cold or not[​IMG]

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the dts vs. dd debate is one of the biggest cans of worms here (although i haven't seen any arguments lately...maybe it has finally worn itself out).

just remember...it's totally a matter of personal preference.

it seems like most dvd's these days include both formats. as long as your receiver can also decode both formats, then it's up to you to choose which one you want. usually this is done via the dvd's "language" menu.

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

6. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

when dts started, they made a big noise out of their new BIG sound format, that takes up a lot of space on the dvd, needing double sided dvd's and that. now it all faded into nothing much really. i will pay you money if you can detect the difference beween these two...

i have a couple of music dvd's that the dolby digital track actually sounds much better than the dts track.

i dont know how exactly this thing works, but i geuss the better sound engeneer, will deliver the better quality audio, regardless of format.