What's new

DTS and XP30 (1 Viewer)

Mike Del

Auditioning
Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker!

I have a Sony 935 receiver (Please don't laugh! My order has been placed with onecall for a HK7200) I also have the Pan XP30 DVD. The problem is since I replaced my 3 year old Sony DVD with the Panny, the receiver never shows DTS, just Dolby Digital. With the old Sony, it would automatically display DTS on the Sony A/V receiver's LCD whenever a DTS DVD would be playing. Likewise for Dolby Digital 5.1 Reading the XP30 manual offers no clues.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mike D

greg_t

Screenwriter
You have to enable DTS output in the players menu. Go into the menu and set the DTS Output to Bitstream.

Mike Del

Auditioning
Thanks Greg,

I had already set the DTS to Bitscreen on the initial setup. Here's what my audio setup looks like on the XP30.

Digital Audio Output - On
PCM Down Conversion - No
Dolby Digital - Bitstream
DTS Surround - Bitstream
Dynamic Range Compression - Off
Audio During Search - On

My gut feeling is my Sony receiver may be the problem. It's about 3 years old. If I remembered correctly using my old Sony DVD player, it played DTS only when there was on option on the movie DVD for DD or DTS. I cannot find anywhere on the receiver to switch to DTS. My guess it's software driven.

Anyway, the HK 7200 is off the table, I switched my order to the Onkyo TXNR 801. I did not have the room for the HK.

Mike D

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
If you didn't already know this, not all DVD's have a DTS track available. The ones that do usually have the option of either DD or DTS. You can switch between the two using the audio button on your remote. Make sure the DVD has DTS encoding on it at all.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Thats right only a few DVD movies have a DTS track and you always have to manually select it from the menu - the default is DD5.1 audio. Some DVDs lock out the player's audio track selection, you may have to use the DVD's own audio menu. What DVD titles are you trying to get DTS audio from?

Mike Del

Auditioning
I have seen some DVD movies that the packaging read DD and DTS, only to find that the DTS option was not on the DVD disc's movie setup. I was assuming that if a DVD track had DTS, that you could select from the hardware (DVD player)if it wasn't on the software side.

I grabbed a movie from my collection, Adaptation, which advertised DTS on the DVD packaging. I fired it up, clicked on the audio setup in the movie menu, and to my amazement the DTS english option was there! Played the movie, watched the A/V's LCD and to my surprise displayed DTS. I haven't seen that in over a year!

Has anyone else seen DTS on the packaging only to find DD was the only option?

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

Wow. No. Are you sure? Usually you select between DD and DTS in the "Language" section.

greg_t

Screenwriter
No, every dvd I own that advertises DTS has a DTS track. Sometimes it is not easy to find the soundtrack options though in the dvd's menu. Some dvd's will put the soundtrack options under setup, some will put it in Languages, some will put it in options. Where the soundtrack options are vary from disc to disc. You just have to look around sometimes to find where the soundtrack options are. But I've never had a DVD that advertises DTS not have it.

Mike Del

Auditioning
This weekend I'm going through my DVD's. If I come accross any DVD's that advertise DTS and it's not there I will report back. If I can't find any then I must have looked in the wrong place on the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks