What's new

Drinking old liquor... (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
...is it wrong? :b

I know the rule about keeping an open bottle of wine for the next day; "DON'T".
But how long will opened liquor stay good?
Of course some of my bottles got to be the age they are because I'm not into them often.
95% of my alcohol intake is in restaurants at dinner (well hell, lunch too).
So, to get down to specifics:

Rum
I really don't drink it anymore. No telling how old this half bottle of Myer's is. 10-15 years. At least.
Gin
Not a big deal, it's a small bottle. In fact I drank some of it neat just now and...uh. To tell you the truth I'd never tasted gin before so I have no point of reference.
Kahlua Liqueur
Again, no clue...is it for cooking? ;)
Vodka
Smirnoff & Absolut...been here for years.
The Tito's I have for sipping, it won't be a problem
Grand Marnier
This goes in my Margaritas, so it won't get dusty.
Tequila
My fingerprints are all over these bottles.
Triple Sec
And this one.
Single Malts
Not a problem. ;)

So, should I just pour some of these in the sink?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Those single malts are ruined, send them all to me and I'll dispose of them properly. :D :thumbsdown:

jk, wish I knew the answer. ;)

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Liquor in a bottle does not improve with age, but for the most part it doesn't go bad either. Your rum, whisk(e)y, vodka, etc, are fine. 10 year old Bailey's or vermouth? Throw it out. In my experience some of the more botanical liquors/liquers like gin and Compari can lose a little something, but they won't be "spoiled."

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

You can safely keep wine for a few days after opening it. Cork the wine bottle back up and stick it in the fridge. You can safely keep it for 3 days (and I've even kept some a week with no noticeable difference).

If it's red wine, just let it sit at room temperature for atleast 1/2 an hour before drinking.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Yes, of course you can Bryan. A friend gifted me with a little vacuum pump and rubber stoppers just for that.
I was actually speaking for the Bacchanalian, hedonistic, eat drink and be merry side of the room.
DON'T save the wine, drink it! ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually red wine keeps better outside the fridge for a few days. The fridge is full of microbes that can screw up wine very quickly, no matter how clean you think you keep it. If you can run an inert gas such as nitrogen or carbon dioxide into the bottle to displace the air, so much the better.

But yeah, I never have the problem of bottles of red wine languishing half-consumed around here.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I disagree. After one day the wine is drinkable, not has noticeably changed, and not for the better.

One way to keep an opened bottle of wine is to buy a half-bottle of wine, empty the bottle using your favorite method.

Then when opening a full bottle, immediately decant half into the small bottle and cork it. This half bottle will keep well for several days because there is very little air in it. In fact, the same amount of air as an unopened bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks