1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Your suggestions for a high quality Gin

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JordanS, Feb 8, 2006.

1. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I drink Gin Martinis and am looking for a ultra high premium quality Gin. The best I've had is Tanqueray Number Ten. At 24 years old, I haven't had the opportunity to taste much better. Here is a PART of my liquor collection. I'm moving so there are some SM Scotches and some bourbon that have been packed up..and other assorted bottles. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f119/m...t=DSC01168.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/f119/m...t=DSC01169.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/f119/m...t=DSC01170.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/f119/m...t=DSC01171.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/f119/m...t=DSC01172.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/f119/m...t=DSC01173.jpg

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Glad Patron has the place of honor. If you ever hit the lottery, try Cuervo Reserva de le Famalia. Stuff is as smooth as brandy ! Reserved for special occasions, I preface the pouring with:

Spaulding, this calls for the ole Billy Barule

And after the sipping...

billy billy billy billy billy, oh billy billy billy.

Can't help with Gin, Sapphire is about as upscale as I let my wife get....

(gawd, I miss Ted Knight)

3. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

I don't know if it fits your description of "ultra high premium quality," but I like Plymouth Gin. It's available in two strengths - original, at 41.2%, and "Navy" strength, at 57%. I also like Bombay Sapphire, but you already have that in your pics.

Happy hunting.

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Yup... another Bombay Sapphire fan here. [​IMG] I don't look much higher than that, at least for gin. Have to give Plymouth a shot.

Also just got into higher-quality vodka.. just tried Grey Goose for the first time. Ketel One is next on the list. [​IMG]

Interesting photos. My wife is a HUGE SM/scotch fan. I've never seen JW Green label before. I assume it's above JW Black, but beneath JW Blue. Interesting. [​IMG] Her fav SM is Oban.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I also am perplexed by the new JW green; i saw it last weekend for the first time. Did it take over the spot held by gold previously (between black and blue)?

Can't help you with gin, but if you like fine tequila as well as scotch you might really enjoy a nice mezcal; to me it tastes more woody and scotch-like than tequila if you get a good bottle. Only get reposado or anejo grades, and before sipping put a bit of chile and salt in a bowl and put just a tad of the mixture on your finger.

I wish I could recommend a brand, but most of the ones they sell here aren't sold in the states and vice versa.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Gin's funny. Different gins are good for different things. My dad loves martinis with dry vermouth and he swears by Beefeater for that purpose. So I always have some Beefeater on hand.

7. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

Johnnie Walker Green is quite delicious. It was $56 per fifth; it is quite a step up from the Black Label. They are just entirely different. Smooth start and a very full, strong finish. Smells unbelievable. The Gold Label is $75 per fifth; and the Blue Label is $215 per fifth.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I like Boodles Gin a lot. Great for Martinis. It's a little hard to find but worth the search.
    I found this review which comes close.

9. Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw Stunt Coordinator

I have always enjoyed Broker's gin. I find it to be an exceptionally good value.

My $.02.

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Lew would be the man to talk to about gin if he puts in an appearance.

I've heard it's his only weakness. [​IMG]

11. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

I second the Boodles recommendation. Very good, and cheap - around $15. Available at BevMo and Trader Joe's.

Check out the winners of SF World Spirits competition here. Good ol' Stoli and Tanqueray won for Vodka and Gin. The overall "Best in Show" went to El Tesoro Blanco Tequila. Very good stuff. If you're into tequila, I would also highly recommend Casa Noble. Very, very good, although I've only tried the Blanco.

Keep in mind that for many of the "super premium" brands, charging high prices is just marketing. A high price and cool bottle do not guarantee that the hooch is any better or even as good as the stuff sitting next to it for half the price.

12. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Wow, that's pretty tony booze. Let us know whether the stuff warrants the price.

BTW, could you say how much you paid for it? I was close to picking it up several years ago for about $130. Wondering how much the sticker has been jacked up.

14. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

Peter Kim:

I payed $214 for the Blue Label.:b

15. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Ok - 75.00 for Cuervo Familia seems reasonable now.... That crap better be liquid cocaine (and legal !)

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I did, and while I understand that there is almost no order list with which I’d be in total agreement, the fact that in the Liquer competetion Baileys and Godiva Cappuccino are awarded Double Golds, while Chartreuse and Drambuie only get Silver makes me question the overall judging.

Even so, I need to try the tequila that topped the competetion. While I’m pleased to see a tequila do so well, I’m a bit surprised to see a blanco as the torch bearer.

17. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

JW blue is good for a blended scotch but I prefer single malts. I drink mostly Dalmore but have Laphroaic 15 year old Islay for special occasions. BTW, when did blue label go up so much? I used to see it for around $125 a bottle as early as 5 years ago. I also noticed that you have McClellend Islay (not to be confused with McCallan). Isn't that a great single malt for the price? My liquor salesman friend turned me on to it a year or so ago. It is like $15 a bottle and is not bad for an everyday single malt. Anyway, I'm not dissing JW. I just prefer single malt to blended. I'm sure at $215 a bottle, it knows the smooth way down.

Oh yeah. Gin. The same salesman friend brought a bottle of Boodles to a cookout a couple years ago. He and I ended up drinking it all. I was amazed at how good it was. I didn't know it was cheap until I read Eugene's post. I never bought any, but I would recommend it.

18. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Our local purveyor is having a "dollar over cost" sale next week, I'll check out the price. It is currently listed at 185.00 which seems like a very good "normal" price. Unfortunately I am not yet a scotch drinker.

19. andrew markworthy

Gin = Gordon's or Beefeater

Whisky = single malt only, and beyond that it's personal taste (highland if you want a relatively light tasting drink, lowland if you want it richer). I'd save blended only for cocktails.

20. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

After seeing the results of the SF Competetion I wanted to see exactly what some of the best in show bottles were but you really couldn't stop it and get any info on the bottles.

I wanted some info on the fourth bottle that comes up on the list, a very unusual looking one with practically no lable.