What's new

Dremel as router (1 Viewer)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 9.6 V cordless dremel tool. Do you guys think that this tool coupled with Dremel's router attachment will be useful in corner rounding MDF? Has anyone else attempted this low budget feat? I will eventually invest in a router, but right now I am just anxious.

Thanks for any info.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I only use the Dremel for fine detail sanding (like when adding a terminal cup and enlargening the hole). Dremel lacks torque for such a purpose and the bits are not really that durable (don't get me started on those stupid cermic cutting discs, I only buy the fiberglass ones now). I don't have the dremel router attachment anymore but do have their router table (far superior imho) which to me isn't too bad but if I had the room, I would definitely buy a router table for my current router and buy a plunge router for my Jasper Jig.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Dremel and would never dream of using it to route 3/4" stock. You'll need a good 1.5HP router like the Porter Cable 690.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You'll burn up the motor on the Dremel tool trying to cut MDF.

If you're on a budget use a saber saw to make the driver cutouts

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
LOL! Ya, I didn't think that this would be possible, and I realized after I posted that Dremel doesn't even make a round over bit big enough to do what I want.

Goes to show there is no substitute for good equipment.

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have access to a table saw? There is a funky way you can round over corners on a table saw that I found while looking at one of the Ariel pages. It is pretty tedious, but it worked great on my Audax kit, where I did a 1.5" roundover on the front vertical edges.

Basically you make a jig which is a piece of pvc or other cylinder the same radius as the desired roundover. Attach it to the edge of a board that is somewhat wider than your cabinet. Put the speaker on the saw and adjust the saw to exactly the width of the cabinet. Remove the speaker. Run the jig through the saw to trim the edge opposite the pvc tube. Now flip the jig around so the tube is next to the blade. Tilt the saw 5 degrees. Adjust the rip fence so the blade is kissing the pvc at the new angle. Remove the jig and run the cabinet throught the saw (here's the leap of faith part). Now replace the jig, tilt the saw 5 degrees more, and continue this way until you have large piles of sawdust. Oh, and your corners will be rounded. You should likely go less than 5 degrees each time to make it smoother. I sanded it and wrapped veneer around the sides and front in one piece. If done with some accuracy and care you'll be surprised how well this can come out.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Man, you are right, it does sound tedious. But its sounds like a pretty good method for those that are tool deficient. I am still an apartment dweller, but soon I hope to begin my collection of tools.

Thanks for the bit of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks