What's new

Dremel for routing? (1 Viewer)

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone here ever used a Dremel multi-tool with the routing attachment and/or routing table? How does it fare? Obviously a stand-alone router would be better overall, but is this sufficient most of the time? I'm new to most of this, and have never actually done any routing, so I'm hesitant to invest much in this yet.

Thanks,
Drew

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've used a dremel for cutting a speaker terminal hole in 3/4" MDF like a router would. Don't know how it would do for cutting anything bigger..

With a small bit, the cut wasn't very accurate. The MDF started to smoke when I used too big of a bit.

I used a cordless multi-pro that goes up to 30k rpm to cut the wood. I also have a standard dremel that goes up to 36k rpm but never used it for cutting like a router.

A router does a MUCH better job at cutting away MDF in clean cuts and they can use much larger bits. I'd probably use the jigsaw over a dremel for cutting out a driver hole.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
A cheap Skil or Black And Decker router is not much more than a dremel tool and works so much better. Its not just cutting a hole , its also recessing the tweeter, cleaning up the edges... etc. Plus once you build your own speaker, its hard to buy someone elses! :D

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
You can get a generic no-name brand 2 HP router on eBay for about $45. I'm sure it's the crappiest piece of crap you can buy, but if you don't use a router much it's certainly an option. The final bid price tends to end up at $30, and shipping tends to be $10 to $20.

Just search for "plunge router".

This is what I plan to do if I can't find one for $50 locally. I also might rent one... Home Depot and Lowes in my area have recently added tool rental sections. If you can set aside an entire day and do all your routing at once, that might work too.

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the main thing this would be used for is to add a groove to a frame to allow the plexi to slide in. I should have specified this earlier, but I was a little tired at the time. Thanks for all of the help though, I may have to check normal routers out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks