What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dream Theater WDADU 15th Anniversary DVD (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I'm on my second listen of Octavarium and I like it for the most part. However, I don't rank it with top-tier albums such as SFAM or I&W at this point, mainly because some of the melodies and structures haven't been digested yet. I find it often takes several listens to feel comfortable. I hated ToT on first listen but grew to like that one too.

Right now, my favorite tracks are The Answer Lies Within (a ballad), Panic Attack, and the title track, Octavarium. With the latter track, the intro is very reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. I also like Sacrificed Sons but could do without the "TV News" intro.

I agree that LaBrie is relatively restrained here (which is fine with me). I could have used more piano (vs. synth) and the drumming doesn't seem to break any new ground for Portnoy, but overall there is a lot to feast on.

I'm going to see them in Budapest on June 14 -- I can't wait!

728x90

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm still digesting it, but for the most part, I like it. I don't think it will rank among the best they've done, but it is still an interesting album. I don't think James has sounded better. This is some of his best vocal work. It is also a lot less "shredtastic", which I think is a good thing. In recent years, DT has been too concerned with technical briliance, and not having the playing actually serve the song. This is also the first album that I actually felt that Jordan was really meshing with the band, that his playing actually complemented what they were doing, rather than competing for time.

I think some fans are going to have a problem with the title track, since it is almost pure Progressive Rock. Not much Metal in that song. (I already read one guy who summed up his review with one sentence: "Three minutes of flutes." From him, that wasn't a compliment.)

I'll have to wait to see how the songs sit with me ultimatly, but so far, I'm digging "These Walls", "I Walk Beside You", "Sacrificed Sons" and the title track.

BTW, it was nice visiting Venice last week and seeing ads all over the place for the show at the end of the month. Nifty.

The new Shadow Gallery is out? Didn't know that.

Jason

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The more I listen to 8VM (that seems to be the shorthand going around), the more I'm hearing their various influences. I Walk Beside You sounds like a cross between U2 and Rush. I'm also hearing hints of earlier DT songs in the title track, namely Anna Lee, an underrated song from FII.

The music is really coming together for me, but I'm a bit diappointed in the lyrics (though that's not a big factor for me with DT).

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Since I haven't really liked any of their albums since FII, I was going to skip this one. But if this is truly a progressive album in the same vein as Awake (my personal favorite), then maybe I will give it a shot.

One question: Is the guitar solos kept to a minimum? The past few albums really grated on my nerves in this regard.

FredK

Second Unit
^ perfect quote! It structured like it's right off of Tales from Topographic Oceans.

I'm not a fan of the title track, not too prog for me, but it never finds substance. I also don't like the news feeds on SS (or The Great Debate on 6DOIT).

Otherwise, the 1st 6 songs go by effortlessly. The only thing missing from this album is a classic over the top DT piece... this album contrasts well with SFAM, that I miss SFAM style material here.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, yes. This is a pretty restrained album, by DT standards. It is the first album in a while where the music isn't shouting, "look how technically brilliant we are"

Jason

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Thanks Jason.

From the 30 second snippets I listened to, it sounded quite interesting. I think I will go ahead and try it out.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
After 3 or 4 times through the entire album I not into it very much. I am a metal head, so maybe that's why.

I'm not going to rip the album or make up my mind for a very long time. I didn't like FII at all until 2 or 3 years ago, and now I love it. It came together for me a piece at a time. At first I realized how great a song Trial of Tears was, then I started digging the instrumental, then Lines In the Sand hit home, and pretty soon even Anna Lee sounded great.

I hope the same thing happens with the new album, but if it doesn't that's ok too, because really like at least some parts of every album they have done.

I wonder if others will come to appreciate TOT. It surprises me that it is so criticized because I love it so much. My only problem with TOT is that the production isn't quite as good as their previous albums, it manages to sound a little dead and a little harsh at the same time if that makes sense.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I still think FII has some of the best writing that the band has ever done. It just suffers from poor song selection. Some of the stuff that didn't make the album are better than equivilant songs on the album.

I do have a feeling that this is an album that will grow on people over time.

The nice thing about Dream Theater is that if you don't like an album, just wait for the next one, because it is likely to be different.

Jason

Chris Stainton

Second Unit

Interesting. I loved this album right from the start. Peruvian Skies, Burning My Soul, Lines In The Sand, Anna Lee have long been favorites of mine. Take Away My Pain especially moves me more now since my father recently passed away.

I've wanted them to use outside producers again. I would love to see what kind of album they would create if they had someone like Bob Ezrin produce them.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>The nice thing about Dream Theater is that if you don't like an album, just wait for the next one, because it is likely to be different.

FredK

Second Unit

I love TOT because I definitely am into DT for Progressive METAL, the main shortcoming is the length of the songs. Each one (except Vacant) could lose a few minutes because they don't really go anywhere after awhile.

That's where Octavarium shines IMO, the songs don't ramble on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks